Salvaging parts from dead computers, worth? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2005, 05:22 AM   #1
MrDodo is offline MrDodo  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Default Salvaging parts from dead computers, worth?

I sometimes have access to dead mother boards and computer power supplies and I am wondering if the caps, or any other parts are good for audio use.
I tend to think that the film caps rated at 400v can be used as bypass. Also the electro caps are 105 degrees and my logic says that they must be good then, but again I'm not sure.
Are these worth the time desoldering these things or I better just dump them in the bin?
Old 29th September 2005, 05:32 AM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

give this thread look:

Opinions on salvage parts
Old 29th September 2005, 06:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Lately because of the cost of living, all my friends and family know that instead of sending old or broken Computers VCR etc to the dump to pass them on to me.
I found that it doesn't take long to pull the main board etc from a monitor or computer, so I don't see the problem.
What I do is set the soldering Iron up next to the couch, make a cup of coffee and while I am watching TV I Take my time and desolder everything I want and before you know it your moving on to the next board. Also I set up shelves in the shed just for boards I haven't done yet. I would rather spend time on the couch with my family desoldering then at work to get the money to buy new components.
Old 4th October 2005, 05:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Computers have all kinds of parts to salvage.

The Powersupply, has HV caps, along with other goodies. Also contains several transistors, resistors, and the small heatsinks are good for putting on hot transistors or rectifier in an audio project.

Computer Monitors are even better. The circuit that plugs on the back of the CRT has HV transistors in sets of 3 for RGB and sometimes complementary pairs too. Also you will find a few good high wattage resistors and HV caps there too. My amp uses 150V transistors in the LTP and CCS taken from computer monitor. I also got a bunch of trimmer POTS from various monitors. You can never have enough trimmer pots.

Also lots 1/4W and 1/2W resistors in somewhat standard values can be found.
Old 4th October 2005, 07:31 AM   #5
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Lol you should not of said that...
Just completed stripping a PC PSU last night, to use the board as a support and the case, for a gainclone PSU.
Caps were a bit dissapointing, save for the 2 200V 470ufd ones... lots of little toroids and transformers I cannot yet identify, diodes, 2 small alu heatsinks that can mount to PCB with solder, number of large resistors, I assume 1 or 2 watt. 3 pin powersocket, like at the back of some kettles, and PCs (of course), 110 / 240V selector switch, 80mm fan.

BUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tuh duh.... tuh duh tuh duh tuh duh, TUH DUH (jaws theme)

I am going to strip a viewsonic monitor. Erm where will the caps be that can shock me, and how do I discharge them?
Old 4th October 2005, 08:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
you discharge them by putting one finger at each pole

uhh, no seriously, put a resistor between the poles, and keep it there for about 10. secs that'l do it deppending on the value of the resistor.

btw, i have found psu heatsinks to be more than sufficient for low power gainclones, and the filmcaps are great for decoupling.

the hv caps could be good for tube stuff perhaps?
i have a shitload of boxes and crates filled to the brim with electronics, plus i work one day a week at a electronics service shop.
things come cheap theese days.
Old 4th October 2005, 02:45 PM   #7
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

So far so good, got all the big caps off the monitor PCB, in fact its pretty empty by now, not many large electrolytics, but lots of those jobbies which looks like rectangles of hardened enamel paint... must say I now have a pretty decent number of small capacitors for getting along in the electronics hobby again...

Wonder if I can find any use for some of the stuff though like the large ICs and transistors on there... Did get some pushbuttons I can use with the DS1669 digital pot as soon as I find one...

Once again a number of small heatsinks, one is quite nice with a sort of clip that holds the chip in place in stead of a a screw...
Old 5th October 2005, 11:36 AM   #8
MrDodo is offline MrDodo  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

I have had some dead monitors lying around for months in the office. Do you think that the caps can still hold charge after all this time?
Better be cautious... is there anything else that can still hold charge after all this time inside a monitor?
Old 5th October 2005, 12:12 PM   #9
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is there anything else that can still hold charge after all this time inside a monitor?
It's always good practice to discharge the CRT final anode before working on a monitor or TV.
Old 5th October 2005, 12:36 PM   #10
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrDodo
I have had some dead monitors lying around for months in the office. Do you think that the caps can still hold charge after all this time?
Better be cautious... is there anything else that can still hold charge after all this time inside a monitor?
Don't know about after a few months but the tube itself is a giant capacitor and will definitely hold a charge for a few days at least, and it is at about 22,000V!!! The point where the high tention lead plugs into the back is the danger zone......(or I guess at the other end if you disconnect/cut at the HT transformer).....

danger points arrowed sorry best pic of a crt I could find!

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv-inside2.jpg (19.8 KB, 217 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!