5 and 7 pin connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I am considering building a 2-chassis dual mono preamp, and will need at least a 5 pin connector on both chassis and the umbilical (chassis ground, left channel V+ and V-, right channel V+ and V-). If the channels require their own grounds as well, I'll need a 7 pin connector. I was thinking about adding 2 more pins for LEDs on the line amp chassis, but this is getting ridiculous.

Does anyone know of a good source for 5 and 7 pin connectors?

What the heck -- how about 9 pin connectors (are those computer connectors substantial enough to carry the current)?

Thanks,
Scott

I have used 9-pin "D" connectors to feed power and control signals to a preamp. It had a motorised pot and relays to switch inputs, so there was a fair bit of current, and there has been no degradation of the contacts in over 5 years. I used a standard serial data cable too, one that has all the pins wired, (some are available with only data in and data out connected).
This was so successful that I am about to use the same principle for my latest amp.:)

AuroraB said:
By any means--do avoid the old DIN plugs.....
D-plugs - or Sub-D more correctly- is a cost efficient solution...XLRs will also do fine
If cost is no object - go for Bendix or Amphenol bayonet MS type plugs....
( military style... MIL-C-26482 series )

I see no reason why DIN plugs should be avoided. They are available in solid metal with Renk lock. See

here.
(upper left image).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.