High capacitance from small packages for analog decoupling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently building a project where I have trouble finding room for all the capacitors I require. I am most worried about the analog section where the datasheet suggests I need 10-50uF in places. The vendor's evaluation module uses high quality through-hole Electrolytics, but due to the geometry of my layout I need to use SMD.

High capacitance from small packages is what I need. I have found film devices which offer up to 1uF in SMD1210. However stacking 10 such units is not desirable :) so my current plan is to stack say:

1. Silver Mica SMD1210 device
2. two film SMD1210 devices on top
3. one AVC TacMicrochip device on top of that again for the bulk capacitance. http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/catalogs/taclp.pdf

The AVX device seems to offer very high capacitance, low volume, low leakage and reasonable impedances and 15uF in 10V (I operate at 5V analog). What I am not so sure about is the dielectric loss.

In the past, Tantalum capacitors seemed to be shunned by users due to their failure modes (short) and often catastrophic failures. What I have yet to find is a consideration of how well these units perform in audio. These units seem ideal for my needs - your comments on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Petter

From elsewhere someone recommended Panasonic SP (Specialty Polymer). These seem like fine units but are rather large at SMD 7343 (7.3mm by 4.3mm). I have found film devices I could use beneath such units but with limited capacitance of a few uF.

I would still be pleased for other suggestions.

I agree small SMD electrolytics are a real pain in the *** to solder ( and desolder is eaven more tricky... )

I just remembered that I've got a bunch of 6,8 uF 50V ceramic caps ( actually two caps in one ), measuring approx. 5*7*5 mm.
Really easy to solder, I attached an image of it.
Petter - I could send you a few if you'd like, for some coffe-money :) 5-10 pcs? Where in scandinavia do you live?

By the way... with "small packages" - how small do you mean?

How small:

SMD1206 or 1210 would be really good for me but if really large film units can be found, larger is OK. The only problem is that the 1210 units I plan to use are 1uF and the largest "normal" SMD sticks I have seen (in film) have been only a couple of uF thus not really worth the effort as stacking 5 of the small ones is probably just as good as using the big ones + don't cause the same layout issues give that things are getting so tight.

Petter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.