Resistor Sound Quality? - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2013, 11:40 PM   #481
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cahyono2009
How about Wilbrecht resistors...?
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 14th July 2013, 09:16 AM   #482
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Damon Hill
Bulk metal foil resistors, foil manufactured by Vishay, packaged by Wilbrecht.
Old 14th July 2013, 08:43 PM   #483
diyAudio Member

Anyone ever tried it(wilbrecht)?Because it's metal foil resistors not like Vishay bulk foil S102K ...
Old 15th July 2013, 12:17 AM   #484
diyAudio Member

Very same technology:

Metal Foil Resistors
Old 15th July 2013, 05:01 AM   #485
diyAudio Member

Technology can be the same but if his voice to the character of the same?
But Vishay for me too smooth and polite .... less bright.
Old 16th July 2013, 03:53 AM   #486
diyAudio Member

Resistors ought not to have any 'character' of their own; neutral and transparent seem to me very desirable characteristics. Affordability would be great, too; foil resistors are very expensive.

Resistors
Old 20th April 2014, 08:12 AM   #487
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahyono2009 View Post
Technology can be the same but if his voice to the character of the same?
But Vishay for me too smooth and polite .... less bright.
If you have tried vishay TX2575, for me this resistor not "too smooth" but neutral and full of detail also add some more deep bass

recently today I replaced Takman metal film from my 300B tube amp with TKD correctohm CM series, the result is more cleaner high and bit lower noise floor

Last edited by eherdian; 20th April 2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 24th April 2014, 02:23 PM   #488
ypjc is offline ypjc  Singapore
diyAudio Member

@ Cahyono : Halo Pak, Salam kenal,
Do you already have Wilbrecht resistor ? How you could get Wilbrecht resistor ? From local store kah?
Old 25th November 2014, 08:31 PM   #489
meles2 is offline meles2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Resistor upgrade Vishay

Well I just put in some rca jumpers from my current Loesch preamp (schematic attached) to allow the replacement of its partially shunted Daven non-inductive stepped attentuator with the Placette Remote volume control. The Placette utilizes something like 17 TX2352 (S102) resistors per channel with some electronics wizardry to achieve 125 steps. Despite dropping from a 20k pot to a nearly 9k load in the Placette, the results have been jaw dropping. The bass has become incredibly dynamic with absolutely wicked treble transient reproduction. Frankly, the degree of change has been more than I've experienced in any previous equipment change. Needless to say I am intrigued by the sound of resistors after this, though I expect that much of this difference is due to the zero inductance of the bulk foil versus the slight inductance of the non-inductive wirewounds.

Outside of the Loesch, I also have 250k pot on a tube midrange amp and something like a 10k pot in an active subwoofer crossover. i previously have had some load resistors changed without a great change in sound and have enen put in fixed values for the 250k pot before. The changes in sound have been minor.

With the tx2352(s102) in Placette I do sense midrange issues on line sources like a cd player, but when I use the phono stage then I am not totally positive about the bulk foil sound. To my ears, I need more of that sound in the unit to increase performance at the extremes so it may keep up with thunderous Blu-ray's and CDs. But, my guess is that the TX2575 is the solution here, or the midrange may suffer too much with the brutally accurate s102 sound. The unit currently utilizes very nice vintage resistors, non-inductive wirewounds when possible and even some allen Bradley's here and there.

I am inclined to go after the 10 ohm resistors (unit has 30.5 ohm in place) in series with the signal path (grid resistors). But, I thought I'd post this up here for some expert advice. Most of the rest of the phono circuitry would effect the EQ and I don't have immediate plans to mess with those components (resistor suggestions welcome). The unit is a bit difficult to work on so I'd rather do the changes in batches rather than one at a time, so eager to find out what to attack and where the TX2575 might best be exploited. I am pretty sure that the 30.5 ohm resistors are vintage Allen Bradley carbon composition resistors.... in the line stage, in the phono they are some very vintage non-inductive Daven wirewounds ribbed for her pleasure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arthurloeschpreamp5lkIvan.jpg (368.2 KB, 268 views)
Old 27th November 2014, 02:12 PM   #490
diyAudio Member

Default Resistors tryouts

Hi guys,

I just found your thread. Very interesting discussions. Different points of vue, a lot to learn.

On a similar topic, we are doing a lot of "resistors tryouts" in the following thread, should you be interested in the results.

Salas hotrodded DCB1 resistor tryouts

Regards
Scorpion

Hide this!Advertise here!