Volume control question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey. Could anyone please tell how to make an "inline" volume control for a speaker. I have a cheap 2.1 PC speaker set and I've just changed the sub speaker to a bassier one but it's a bit quiet so I was thinking if I added the volume control I could turn it up a bit (or even down if needed, wow!).

I though maybe if i got a resister and a turny knob thing (sorry, don't know all the names) I could change the amount of current going through, making it quieter or louder by turning knob (obviously), but i don't know if that will work, its all theory!

Hi,
since it is the bass speaker that is too quiet then you need to add a volume control to the main speakers to reduce their volume.

An alternative but technically more difficult solution is to increase the gain of the chip amp driving the bass. To do this you need to get inside the bass unit and understand what components control the gain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.