Replacing opamps on Pb-free board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just purchased a new Pioneer DV-588A DVD/SACD/DivX player. Before even plugging it in, I grabbed a screwdriver and opened it up to see what kind of mods I could do. On the analog outputs, I saw a trio of BB PCM1742K DACs and a trio of 4560 dual opamps (yuck!). I'll leave the DACs for now but I really want (no, need) to rip those opamps out and put in something better.

The problem is that the boards are prominently marked "No-Pb". Can I re-work with plain leaded solder? (The opamps are in SOIC-8 packages).

If I can't, then can I use any electronics grade Pb-free solder, or do I need to (somehow?) match it to the type used on the board? I suppose that I'll need to buy a new tip for my iron too. Thoughts?

The problem is that the boards are prominently marked "No-Pb". Can I re-work with plain leaded solder?

Yes.

can I use any electronics grade Pb-free solder

Yes, too.

I suppose that I'll need to buy a new tip for my iron too.

If you are soldering with lead-free solder a lot, you should use a lead-free proven tip, as the tin in the solder washes the surface covering of conventional tips out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.