AnTek toroid transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2005, 11:02 PM   #1
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AnTek toroid transformers

Any one have any experience with these? Are they audibly quiet? Any electrical noise problems? How about inrush problems?
Old 15th September 2005, 11:38 PM   #2
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default check this

this was recently discussed on the krell thread. check it out.

its one of the 4000 posts!

okokok.............started here (item #5) and goes off and on for a few pages....turns out people thought they were ok as I recall.
Old 16th September 2005, 02:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Anyone know if they're bifilar wound? I can't get an answer from them.
Old 20th September 2005, 04:59 AM   #4
Arius is offline Arius  United States
diyAudio Member

Well I ordered four of their 700VA types for my ThermalTrak Leach clone.

1) Good value for money.

2) Audibly quiet.

3) Electrical noise - unknown. Only managed to test it into a dummy 200W resistive load. Regulation is good.

4) Inrush current - seems to be the usual for toroids of this size. Made no measurements but the workbench lights flickered on power on.

5) Bifilar - dunno. It appears to be secondary over primary. Secondary appears to be 14awg wire.

6) Side note: It appears to be larger and heavier than my Parasound's 785VA transformer.

I can send close up pics if you want.
Old 20th September 2005, 06:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just ordered 3 700VA ones myself. I did find out that they are bifilar wound. Thank's for the info.
Old 16th October 2005, 03:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I bought one and wired it up... no problems so far.
Old 16th October 2005, 05:13 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

A friend has bought two pair from them for his KSA-50 clone. The trannys seem to be just fine but the company that sells them is very poor at communicating. They will answer you but it can take days for a simple question to be answered and then the answer may not make much sense as it happend to my friend several times. He ended up asking the same question multiple times before the reply made any sense. Clearly this company needs someone that can understand and speak english if they are to deal with people on a regular basis!!

The second pair of trannys came without any labeling of any sort and this too is unacceptable. The first pair which was advertised on e-bay as 500 VA turnbed out to be labeled 400 VA(they say 500 VA on 60 hz and 400 on 50 hz), but these first trannys were still boderline for use on the KSA clone. So I asked him to get a second pair that are larger..... we'll see how these work out.

Mark
Old 16th October 2005, 05:34 AM   #8
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

I ordered a couple some time ago. The thing that surprised me was the shipping cost. Something like $20.00 each sent by USPS. Hopefully they are now taking advantage of the flat-rate boxes.
Old 5th November 2010, 10:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well I just got my 500 VA in. Wired it up how I thought it was supposed to be wired, but it pops a 2.5 amp fuse. Tried every other way possible to wire the primaries (nothing connected to secondaries) and it always pops a fuse.

I think either A) On power-on, a big transformer will always pop a fast-acting fuse, or B) This thing is wired funny or there's some kind of internal short.

In any case, I'm almost to the point where I'm going to wire it to my power cord without a fuse, plug it in, and see if it trips the 20 amp circuit breaker in my house.
Old 6th November 2010, 01:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzernaam View Post
Well I just got my 500 VA in. Wired it up how I thought it was supposed to be wired, but it pops a 2.5 amp fuse. Tried every other way possible to wire the primaries (nothing connected to secondaries) and it always pops a fuse.

I think either A) On power-on, a big transformer will always pop a fast-acting fuse, or B) This thing is wired funny or there's some kind of internal short.

In any case, I'm almost to the point where I'm going to wire it to my power cord without a fuse, plug it in, and see if it trips the 20 amp circuit breaker in my house.
With all due respect, your experience/approach is exactly the reason you should start up the power supply for the first time with a light bulb in series. Search the threads, there is plenty of information.

BTW, my experience with Antek has been positive.

Hide this!Advertise here!