Output voltage question! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2005, 06:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Output voltage question!

Most good processors advertise 5-6v(and up) output signal..both of my amps input sensitivity are 250mV-4V..does this mean that I have to find a processor with a 4V max output?? Also, some say 7V max output..does this mean its adjustable?? Thanks in advance..........
Old 17th September 2005, 05:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
It would mean that at 4V your amp should be making full power.
the max of 7V may be indicating peak voltage so 7/1.414= 4.95V rms signal but I'm not sure if thats what they are indicating.
Old 18th September 2005, 08:22 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I think the maximum voltages quoted coming from analogue processors and amps is the maximum just before clipping and/or just as the distortion starts to rise significantly.
With digital ancilliaries the maximum signal out is when the output is at 0db in the digital domain.
With both types a typical high volume signal output is likely to be in the range 10db to 20db below these maxima. ie. 0.5V is -20db relative to 5V.
With quieter music the signal out is more likely to be another 20db to 40db below the normal outputs. i.e. 5mV (-60db) to 150mV (-30db). This is why noise (or rather the lack of it) becomes important at these very low signal levels.

Your sensitive amp with a requirement for 250mV for maximum output will require more attenuation of the signal than the less sensitive amp that needs 4V for maximum output (this seems more like PA equipment).
Most domestic digital equipment has a maximum output of about 2V and would need some amplification to suit the 4V amp IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE that amp to MAXIMUM output.
Old 19th September 2005, 02:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi,
Most domestic digital equipment has a maximum output of about 2V and would need some amplification to suit the 4V amp IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE that amp to MAXIMUM output.
Hes looking at "5-6v(and up) output signal" so his amps would make full power before the processor puts out its max signal.

Hide this!Advertise here!