diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   audio inductors question (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/64210-audio-inductors-question.html)

ChaS3 13th September 2005 04:18 PM

audio inductors question

Has anyone ever used the SuperQ audio inductor from ERSE ?

I am looking to build my own crossovers and really like the specs and features of this coil, just interested if anyone has tried these or not, thanks.

- Cha S3

Cal Weldon 13th September 2005 04:22 PM

You might get a better response over in loudspeakers section. Would you like me to move it?

Cal

Magura 13th September 2005 04:44 PM

If you take a closer look at those inductors, you will find that they are plain vanilla , relatively heavy gauge, steel core inductors, and actually of relatively low precision.

You could do a lot better winding you own air cores.

Magura :)

ChaS3 14th September 2005 02:11 PM

But, wont an air core coil have a much higher DCR?

I am interested in the 5mH 14Ga SuperQ
I have linked to the DCR of the specific part.

14Ga 5mH Air Core Coil
I have linked to the DCR of the specific part.XQ

The XQ is the air core coil, the DCR is much higher.

Magura 14th September 2005 02:30 PM

Without going overboard in crazy gauge wire, you can make a 5mH air core that is around 0.25R DC

0.09R would not keep me awake at night ;)

Lars Clausen 14th September 2005 03:00 PM

Magura: But can you beat this:

Quote:

Electrical Conductivity: 101.5%
:D

Magura 14th September 2005 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lars Clausen
Magura: But can you beat this:

:D

I had a laugh about this one as well. According to the specs, this is to be categorized as a power supply, as it actually adds power :D

ChaS3 7th October 2005 05:38 PM

Im sorry but I do not understand why you feel that the specifications of the SuperQ are specified as a power supply. Could you please be more clear or explain?

According to the ERSE website when you search for inductance versus dcr of their xq air core coils, a 5mH with that DCR would be a 10Ga wire, this would be a very large and expensive coil compared to the SuperQ.. right?

Thanks in advance.

Tweeker 11th October 2005 08:15 PM

Cross-Over Network; Air Core Inductor Calculator

Air cores have less hysteresis and will vaporize long before any saturation whatsoever. You can buy a 10lb spool of 12 gauge magnet wire off Ebay to make 2 5mH inductors for ~$30. .4 DCR. The elimination of the iron core and is easily worth the added resistance.

Tweeker 11th October 2005 08:21 PM

While silly the 101.5% conductivity claim isnt completely ridiculous, its referenced against the International Annealed Copper Scale (IACS) standard.