Houston, We Have A Problem.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, lemme see....counting suburban areas, I believe we have about 4-5 million people here. With a city this size, you'd think I wouldn't be having that much problem finding decent "walk-in" sources for electronic components and supplies...other than Radio Shack. Ther is a place called EPO (Electronics Parts Outlet) that is pretty good, and the help there is great, but still, on some items it's hit or miss. Heck, if I were a left-handed sewer-flute player, I'm sure I could source at least 3 places that sold left-handed sewer-flutes here. Any other fellow Houstonians here that have some alternat sources for electronic parts and such??? There used to be several places back in the day, but they seem to have moved on.........Sometimes I like to fondle a capacitor before I buy it.............can't do that on the internet!

Help!!

Thanks

Curtis

Try Ace Electronics

Ace Electronics on Antoine has a great selection of parts. They are right west of 290. Inbetween 290 and Hempshead Hiway.
They sell to the cable, communications, and electricians so they have a steady business from big buyers. Do not expect answers to questions like what would sound better.
But they have a great stock of many things needed and will order anything you might want. I find al kinds of goodies, S102 Vishays, AB carbon comps, millions of silver mica and multilayer ceramics, diodes, heatsinks, chokes, and some transistors.
They are a godsend to my projects, hoke they do not go the way of City Electronics and some of the others.
The parts counter guys are all knowledgable and will help find things. They hace recently expanded, so things have been moving around.
IMHO, we are better off with parts, from EPO and Ace than we are for dealers carring High End electronics. That is a really bleak scene for a town of 4 million.
I got an idea, just build your own!

George

Well, you could get on I-45, and go north about 250 miles. A few surplus houses.......at least one place that sells new commercial parts.

You could move to Mansfield, and get a job at Mouser. Other than that, you live in Houston............some may claim it is a problem to begin with. [joke]

(Yeah, I lived there.......I can safely comment on it. )

Jocko

I wasn't sure if Ace had "walk-in" business capability. They are not too far from my office.

Maybe I should call Digi-key and tell them I want to open a Houston branch and that they should spearhead the financing, land acqusition and such and that I will manage it (of course I only like to work from 2-3 on Wednesdays) and that the usual company employee discount applies and............hmmmm, they might not be interested in someone like me.

I bet the market is here, but, what with internet and all, businesses like that must be really hard to set-up, become established, and make profit. Hey Mattress MAc !!!! He could do it.........

Curtis

Best one 250 miles north is closing!

Jocko Homo said:
Well, you could get on I-45, and go north about 250 miles. A few surplus houses.......at least one place that sells new commercial parts.

You could move to Mansfield, and get a job at Mouser. Other than that, you live in Houston............some may claim it is a problem to begin with. [joke]

(Yeah, I lived there.......I can safely comment on it. )

Jocko

Tanner is giving it up. Last couple times I was up the shelves were getting pretty bare. Overheard one of the ladies working there tell someone she had a job offer once the store closed.
Think it is a family business, looks to have too many workers, always 6 - 8 milling around. It is sad, they also carried all kinds of great stuff.
You would think that with the high tech industry up there on the north side of Dallas they could do well. Guess they get it all from Mouser too.

George

cwoodall said:
I wasn't sure if Ace had "walk-in" business capability.

They always ask what account to charge it to. Just say cash and taxed. I drop in about once a week, they have asked what I do with all the junk I pick up. Never tell!! People that sell electronics for living think audio people are strange. Always looking for a better sounding resistor, cap, diode, solder, footer, wire, connector, and so on. Maybe they know more than I think.
Pay for most, well all. I always correct them if them make mistakes to my favor. I would hate to loose them. But a lot is not marked, so it is up to the discretion of the counter guy. I have payed everywhere from 3 cents to a dime each for AB carbon comps in the same week. Same with the small value ceramic multilayer leaded caps. Nickel to 20 cents a pop. There is no price on those bins, so who knows.
Most the higher priced stuff either has a price or it is on the bin. Drop in one day at lunch and wander around. They carry a lot more than EPO.

George

I agree with George.

Ace has a good stock of needed bits and they are friendly and helpful. I helped build the offices in their expansion. One day I was in and saw the slab of the new building and got to talking with them about city permit hassles.

EPO on the other hand has mostly robot and computer junk. Ace has far more industrial type components.

Ya'll let us Houstonians know of the next Houston area listening. I'll gladly lug over 200 lbs of Aleph monster amp.

Dang! I knew better than to go over to ACE today, but then, nobody ever accused me of doing all the right things. That's kind of a Mecca for electronics junkies, eh? Great place, good people, nice experience.....

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction. Now all I need is a transformer and I'll have the first GC ready to go!

cwoodall said:
OK, lemme see....counting suburban areas, I believe we have about 4-5 million people here.

Is that counting the refugees from NOLA?

Here in NJ we used to have an electronics industry -- remember ATT and Bell Labs, RCA, Boonton Electronics ? Now everyone orders from DK cuz it will get there next day by USPS Priority Mail. Patience is not a male virtue.

Quite frankly, you are better off ordering 10 of everything you need from DK, Allied, Newark Elec, or Mouser -- find out about ham radio operators in your area (gazillions in Houston) -- they willl let you know where the bargains exist.

Hey, Mouser is only a few hundred miles up north :)

Back when Collins Radio was Collins Radio.................we had several surplus outlets. Including their crappy excuse for one. If you bought a complete module from their junque boit, they would break the ears off of the edge connector, so that we could not take it back to work and stick it into our system.

Yes, Tanner's is a family outfit. I believe the problem is one of supply. Too many sources have dried up, as more assembly is now done offshore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.