Make ac dc. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2005, 10:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jasmeleg
Default Make ac dc.

Ok so in my new reciever one of the lights for the dials has burnt out. So I was thining wouldnt it be cool to have the dials blue instead of white. So I start checking some stuff and find out that the stock bulbs run off of 7.5vac and I want to put in leds which at 2.1-3.6vdc. My question is how do I convert the ac current to dc current? Is there a simple circuit board I can make to do this or would I just be better off looking for a dc rail in the amp.
Old 8th September 2005, 02:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ok I have figured out that I need to use a rectifier, but what kind should I use? Should I use a smoothing circuit for just hooking up leds? Can someone please explain this to me.
Old 8th September 2005, 05:42 AM   #3
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Please do not be offended as this is intended with good will:

You are going to kill yourself if you start messing around inside electronics and don't know what you are doing.

Go and buy (or download) a book about electronics fundamentals and read it three times, then see if you still need to ask the question.
Old 8th September 2005, 08:12 AM   #4
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Read your own sig
Old 8th September 2005, 10:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I know what I am doing. I have worked on so many electronics it is not funny. I dont know why you would thin I would kill myself other then if I touched a cap or messed with the high voltage rails. I am not an idiot I know what is what. We are takling about the circuit that runs the lamps not the *******g main power. I mean yeah if I wanted to go from a normal wall socket 120vac to a 12vdc amp I would run a psu and do it that way but what I want to build only pulls .240a so I dont *******g need a supper beefy board.
And what does my sig have to do with anything. I am going to mod it so I want to know how to mod it right.
Old 8th September 2005, 11:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to runebivrin
To put it bluntly, if you don't know how to do this yourself, you have some reading to do, but anyway:

You need minimum 1 resistor and 1 diode. Connect the resistor in series with the diode and the LED and just connect that across the AC line. Calculate the resistor using Ohm's law. However, this will leave the LED flashing at 30 Hz. A more spphisticated solution uses a rectifier bridge and electrolytic capacitor before the resistor, just like in any cheap wall-wart.

Now, figure out the rest yourself. If you can't, you won't be able to troubleshoot either, so then don't bother...

Rune
Old 9th September 2005, 12:35 AM   #7
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasmeleg
I know what I am doing. I have... <snip>
Look don't get all bent out of shape big guy. If you are asking, you don't know what you are doing. This is truly a *very* basic task and it is evidently (from the fact that you asked) beyond you. So you need to learn or re-learn the basics.

Calm down already.
Old 10th September 2005, 08:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Use a blue permanent maker to paint the lamp blue. You shouldn't use a soldering iron on anything that gets within 100 yards of 120V AC
Old 10th September 2005, 08:54 PM   #9
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Donaldson
Use a blue permanent maker to paint the lamp blue. You shouldn't use a soldering iron on anything that gets within 100 yards of 120V AC
Brian,

Why do you always have to complicate things?

The solution is obvious!

Buy a blue lamp

Magura
Old 10th September 2005, 09:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This is DIY stuff, and he wants to mod it. What are you thinking!

Hide this!Advertise here!