Where to get pot shaft extension?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for thinking of me....

I've attached a picture of what I have in stock now...
Only have 2 of the HH Smith 00164 couplers but over 100
of the ceramic ones....

Attachments

• DSC03565.jpg
    DSC03565.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 395
Lovejoy type couplings have some degree of flex - CNC and
3D printers like reprap use them, and you should find one without
too much difficulty

Amazon.com: Signstek Aluminum Flexible Z Axes Coupler 5mm x 8mm 5/16" RepRap 3D Printer Prusa Mendel Silver: Industrial & Scientific

6x6.35mm CNC Motor Shaft Coupler 6.35mm to 6mm Flexible Coupling - Motor Accessories - Amazon.com

Coupling, Flexible shaft, 6mm to 6.35mm (1/4 inch) | MPJA.COM

Guys,

I'm changing the faceplate on a preamp I built a while back and would like to move the knob/bushing for the function switch over about three inches on the faceplate. The switch itself is mounted to a PC board attached directly to the input jacks on the back panel. The switch/knob are currently attached to each other via a straight 1/4" shaft about nine inches long.

I remember that "someone" used to make flexible, coiled 1/4", "spring-like" material that would probably work. Anyone have some? Or Apex (or someone else); do you still have any more of those "1/4" universal joint couplers" you mentioned a few years back?? Would need two "sets".

THANKS

Charles

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did as quadtech suggested (may have even got the idea from his post, I can't remember!) :)

I just bought some 1/4 inch rod at the hardware shop, and took the inserts out of a terminal block I had and it worked perfectly.

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_4122.jpg
    DSC_4122.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 375
Joined 2004
Paid Member

Quad tech & Co:

Search for "CNC Jaw Coupler" on ebay. I found lots of those connectors at about a third the price found on Amazon.

Regards,
Scott

Shafts for 0.250" (1/4") can be had from any metal supply shop as merely round stock.

I buy it in brass and stainless... it's pretty inexpensive per foot. As in cheap.

Couplers, online. Those machined ones that are spiral can be pricey, but they have high precision, low lash/slop. Otherwise solid brass or stainless 1/2" rod, drilled/reamed + set screws = coupler. That and the idea previously mentioned of clamps + rubber or synthetic tubing.

_-_-

Joined 2004
Paid Member
quadtech:

If they're dirt cheap, try one. I've used the couplers that rchamber pointed to and strongly prefer the CNC couplers because rigid couplers demand perfect alignment and the CNC couplers don't. With the CNC couplers, knob rotation is smoother.

Regards,
Scott