Solid state switching of signals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would be the cleanest way to switch an AC signal path on and off using solid state?

The signal is only low, a few volts, and since it's a signal I can't really make do with diode voltage drops, which immediately points towards bias / trigger devices where the only drop is from their internal resistance.

I'd prefer not to have to use solid state relays since they're kind of expensive and I need lots of them, nore do I absolutely need their isolation potential.

For low power signal I (and many others) use this way (T14 and T15 in the attached circuit) ;)

There are other ways, but this is nice and clean :D

- By the way.... This is from the QUAD 34 preamp

Attachments

• ss_mute.jpg
    ss_mute.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 251
eeka chu said:
What would be the cleanest way to switch an AC signal path on and off using solid state?

The signal is only low, a few volts, and since it's a signal I can't really make do with diode voltage drops, which immediately points towards bias / trigger devices where the only drop is from their internal resistance.

I'd prefer not to have to use solid state relays since they're kind of expensive and I need lots of them, nore do I absolutely need their isolation potential.

HC4066 and similar cmos swiches are classically used for things like these. VHC4066 is tad better in on-resistance and maxim-ic for example has improved versions that are still pin compatible with 4066. 4066 on-resistance is variable and varying with signal strengt, somewhere between 50-500ohms so your input impedance after switch has to be enough high.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.