Reduce 24v DC to 18v DC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am new to electronics and I would appreciate your assistance, I have a Lambda LNS-Z-24-J power supply and I need to reduce the voltage to +/- 18-20v I called tech support at Lamdba and they suggested a voltage divider or regulator, as I have no knowledge can anyone provide me with instructions on how to build this item.

Thank you.

Good point...

I am building an FM Stereo Exciter which includes the Transmitter (13.3 -16Vdc 300mA max) a Limiter (15Vdc 300mA) and a Stereo Encoder (13-15Vdc 300mA)

These 3 boards are combined on one PCB and the manufacturer recommends a 18-20VDC 700mA regulated Power Supply.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Chris

hi finestocean,

These are very simple very common circuits that will achieve 18V +/- like you need.
The upper is using voltage regulators, ignore the part codes as they arent 18V refulators.
You will have to find +18v and -18V regulator I.C' part numbers yourself as i dont know any off my head. You may have to even get a variable output regulator. If you use regulators make sure you buy ones that will handle 1 amp or more.

But it is easier to use circuit 2 really, the diodes i used are 18V zeners and are very cheap, you can substitute the mfor and other 18V zener.
Make sure they can handle at least 1 amp of current through them to be safe.
This circuit will provide +and - 18V DC at up to just under 800mA per rail before the zeners start losing their regualtion, test it with a 24 ohm load to check it works for you.

Regards
Craig

Attachments

• psu.png
    psu.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 656
But it is easier to use circuit 2 really, the diodes i used are 18V zeners and are very cheap, you can substitute the mfor and other 18V zener.
Make sure they can handle at least 1 amp of current through them to be safe.
This circuit will provide +and - 18V DC at up to just under 800mA per rail before the zeners start losing their regualtion, test it with a 24 ohm load to check it works for you.
A zener shunt regulator is really only useful for very low current supplies. Check out what happens if the load is disconnected: .79 A of current flows through the zener, causing over 14 W of power dissipation. Most zeners are rated at 1 W, many at just 1/2 W. Those zeners will release their magic smoke in a matter of seconds. And everyone knows that once you let the magic smoke out, you can't put it back in.

If you decide to go with the 7818 and 7918 devices, do not forget to add heat sinks. Also, once installed in the case, make sure you have top and bottom vents. Having vents only on the top does not allow for the cool air to come into the case, and the hot air ends up trapped inside.

finestocean said:
I am building an FM Stereo Exciter which includes the Transmitter (13.3 -16Vdc 300mA max) a Limiter (15Vdc 300mA) and a Stereo Encoder (13-15Vdc 300mA)

These 3 boards are combined on one PCB and the manufacturer recommends a 18-20VDC 700mA regulated Power Supply.

I'm slightly confused here as your original request was for a dual-rail -18V_0V_+18V supply which has been answered.

From the look of the amendment quoted, a single-rail regulated 15V supply is more in line with what you need, unless the pcbs have components to reduce the 18-20V recommended to the quoted levels. :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.