Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2005, 11:49 PM   #1
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default E-I transformers for SS?

I've used Plitron an A-L toroids for my SS amps. I'm curious, are there any "off the shelf" sources E-I transformers with equvalent ratings"?

For example as 500VA, 33-0-33? Hammond and a couple of other seem sutable fot tube amps but nothing that fits SS. Spending some time with Google suggests that any sources are in the Far East and probably only ship pallet loads.

I have no theory that E-I's have an advantage, it's just that I'd like to have the option to satisfy my curiosity.

Maybe, I just cant think of the right Google keywords.
Old 25th July 2005, 06:38 PM   #2
gl is offline gl  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Sam9,

There are lots of local E-I options out there. Try Signal Transformer - it's now a division of Belfuse. Just Google for that then search for their part # 56-12. Keep in mind that you can change the output voltage by changing to one of the two alternate input taps. These units are expensive and ugly but they are super solid and almost indestructable.

On the Hammond site search for part # 167S64. It looks pretty close to what you want. Again I've used Hammond E-I stuff for years and think very highly of it.

Check out the blow-out specials on the PartsExpress site. You may have to use multiple transformers but at $5.00 apiece you won't feel too bad if it doesn't work out.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
GL
Old 25th July 2005, 08:47 PM   #3
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Especially for Signal Transformer. The Hammonds look like they might be a little light on the VA rating, but it's good to know about just in case.

Ebay is a possability but a lot of the sellers know niether the secondary voltage or the VA so it would be a crap shoot.
Old 25th July 2005, 09:32 PM   #4
gl is offline gl  United States
diyAudio Member

I use the weight to figure the output amperage. They usually give you the voltage and unit weight so find a similar transformer and you've got the current. Transformer manufacturing is amazingly consistent compared to lots of other components like FET's for instance.

Regards,
GL

Hide this!Advertise here!