E-I transformers for SS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've used Plitron an A-L toroids for my SS amps. I'm curious, are there any "off the shelf" sources E-I transformers with equvalent ratings"?

For example as 500VA, 33-0-33? Hammond and a couple of other seem sutable fot tube amps but nothing that fits SS. Spending some time with Google suggests that any sources are in the Far East and probably only ship pallet loads.

I have no theory that E-I's have an advantage, it's just that I'd like to have the option to satisfy my curiosity.

Maybe, I just cant think of the right Google keywords.

Hi Sam9,

There are lots of local E-I options out there. Try Signal Transformer - it's now a division of Belfuse. Just Google for that then search for their part # 56-12. Keep in mind that you can change the output voltage by changing to one of the two alternate input taps. These units are expensive and ugly but they are super solid and almost indestructable.

On the Hammond site search for part # 167S64. It looks pretty close to what you want. Again I've used Hammond E-I stuff for years and think very highly of it.

Check out the blow-out specials on the PartsExpress site. You may have to use multiple transformers but at $5.00 apiece you won't feel too bad if it doesn't work out.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
GL

I use the weight to figure the output amperage. They usually give you the voltage and unit weight so find a similar transformer and you've got the current. Transformer manufacturing is amazingly consistent compared to lots of other components like FET's for instance.

Regards,
GL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.