Soldering to Cardas female RCA connector - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2005, 07:56 PM   #1
41 is offline 41  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Soldering to Cardas female RCA connector

I'm very new to the DIY audio scene, but I'm trying to finish the infamous non-inverting Gainclone amplifier and I'm having trouble soldering to the RCA connectors. They are Cardas nickel-plated copper parts. I'm not sure about the part numbers.

The signal conductor has a nice solder cup but I can't seem to find an appropriate soldering location for the ground shield. How am I supposed to accomplish this?
Old 24th July 2005, 02:21 AM   #2
ctardi is offline ctardi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ctardi Send a message via Yahoo to ctardi
Find a spot where it won't short and solder it there. Sometimes it is helpful to have a friend with a pair of plyers holding things in place.
Old 24th July 2005, 03:36 AM   #3
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
if its the one im thinking of, i do a little trick (i have no friends). i strip an excess of wire, wrap it around the groove, solder a place of the wire, and cut the excess off. no tricky plier-weilding needed and you dont need a third hand. they look like this:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th July 2005, 02:33 AM   #4
41 is offline 41  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, that's the right connector. Where do you solder to? The inside of the groove? I'm also having a bit of trouble getting the soldered wire to bond to the conducting surface.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 25th July 2005, 03:46 AM   #5
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
yep, inside that groove.

you gotta get the iron HOT. i turn mine up quite a bit (forgot what temp). you have to hold it on there for awhile for it to get warm. usually what ill do is warm it up with the iron, melt some solder on it, then melt solder separately on the wire, then melt the two together. seems to work well.

just be patient, it just takes some time.

Hide this!Advertise here!