Removing Plastic covers from Capacitors - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2002, 10:14 AM   #191
diyAudio Member

steve's words:

'For example, the United Chemi-Con KMH series electrolytics have a leakage current of IL (in uA) = 0.02CV. Their 63 volt, 27,000 uF cap with 63 volts across it would exhibit a leakage current of about 34 milliamps. Which is tantamount to the electrolyte having a resistance of about 1,850 ohms.'

the figure of 34mA or 1850ohms is so ridiculously out of range that it may cast a serious shadow of doubt over your other statements.

peter
skinning caps for lunch
Old 22nd September 2002, 11:37 AM   #192
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Steve,

for the record, you registered on Sept.13 2002 and have already made 112 posts, 12.8 a day and most of them quite lengthy.
You make me (and otheres) drown in your Sargasso Sea of words, many of them defensive and self-opinionated drivel and few valid statements sprinkled between them and i simply get exhausted in separating one from the other.

You obviously have no clue how you are perceived by others. You obvioulsy have no clue how often your statements seem to contradict others of your statements. And if other members try to rub your nose into that, you refuse to perceive it.
You enjoy to object, almost unimportant against what, provided you can object to it. Compulsive objecting. Even if you agree, you manage to let it sound as if you object. You peck at others, ok, they peck back . And the reader has to separate a lot of defensive talk from a few statements making sense.

You had your share of this discussion.
moderator order: back out of this thread.

dice45
(diyAudio moderator)
Old 22nd September 2002, 06:48 PM   #193
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

I miss the good old days of gratuitous images of fat cats, dogs and Brittany Spears.

Steve all I can say is lighten up, Harry usually knows what he is talking about as much as I hate to admit it but I still think he uses green led's because he likes to light up his pcboards like Christmas trees.

Jam
Old 23rd September 2002, 03:54 PM   #194
Banned

jambone.......you are right. We take a break from this and look what happens to it.

No, I am the one that likes to light stuff up just for the hell of it. And don't tempt Harry....he may even post pics of fat women too.

Jocko
Old 23rd September 2002, 04:43 PM   #195
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

OK, this was a thread!

Still, way back I tried to get the facts, didn't get any or lost them somewhere.

I went a selling course (years ago) and there where three letters, E F I, brainwashed into my head:

E (egenskaper), properties: What are you doing, how and the result? Which components are effected and what have you done with them?

F (fördelar), benefits: What do you acheive compared to do nothing?

I (innebörd), what does it mean for YOU?

I haven't succeed to sort the facts out in this gigantic thread. I can can understand if all of you are tired and don't want to discuss this matter anymore.
Old 23rd September 2002, 04:52 PM   #196
Banned

Default FIE

This was what they guy wanted to know:

Removing Plastic covers from Capacitors
Hi there,

I read at tip at the website of referenceaudiomods.com claiming that removing the plastic covers from capacitors gives greater performance...

Does anyone know this to be true?

If so what types of improvements were noted and what is the reason for this phenomenon?

Can you answer his questions?

Ren
Old 23rd September 2002, 07:55 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

I just tried skinning if anyone still cares. The most easily accessible caps were a pair of generic panasonics in my gainclone. They are fastened by metal braces so in order to isolate them after skinning i used layers of ptfe plumber's tape. Listened before and after the application of the tape and couldn't hear a difference.
The skinning clearly improved the sound in dynamics and subjective volume - not a huge difference, but well worth it. Didn't quite elevate the panasonics to black gate level though. I find it very unlikely that the improvement has anything to do with damping, as i couldn't hear the effects of several layers of ptfe tape which surely provides much higher damping than the original 'skins'

peter
Old 23rd September 2002, 08:01 PM   #198
diyAudio Senior Member

Default SKINNING CAPS

Peter,

Well done.
Now we're getting somewhere.
My conclusion so far:use Black Gate wherever possible and skin them?

Thks for letting us know,
Old 23rd September 2002, 08:03 PM   #199
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ren,
if i could, i would have answered.
I think one has to try it out, both with 'lytics and with foil caps. I intend to do so, as soon as i find the time and an appropriate amp.
At the moment i am blocked with TT stuff.
What i can do to serve public curiosity. Tomorrow i meet a public component guru; he does tests like this all the time. I will make him curious; if i can get him to try it out, we get 1st results. Ok?

Dtopic,
in our moderator post trash bin, i found a post from you asking us moderators to lighten up. I felt adressed and want to tell you, i am trying and succeeding better everyday ... just, now and then there are things we cannot let pass because the problems grow then.
Old 23rd September 2002, 08:27 PM   #200
Banned

Default Damping

"Didn't quite elevate the panasonics to black gate level though. I find it very unlikely that the improvement has anything to do with damping, as i couldn't hear the effects of several layers of ptfe tape which surely provides much higher damping than the original 'skins'"

I disagree try putting some damping material on the end of the cap as well.

Sin Bin by Sundown,

Ren

Hide this!Advertise here!