Pirmary over secondary in a toroid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning on ordering some custom toroids for GC (from Europe) using amorphous core.

I have here a Definitive Technlogy toroid (from Apex Jr) with primary done over the secondary windings.

I was wondering if there is any specific advantage for audio, winding transformers in this way. It definitely produces less inrush current, and the sound is very good, but does it indeed have much advatnatge (or disadvantage) over more coventional methods of transformer winding?

Primary, when winded over secondary, have a more resistance - that why inrush current is lower.
Such traffo need a very good outer insulation.
It must be really hard - wind thick wire first, around rectangular shape (assuming core is not so-called "R-core").

So I ordered 2 pairs of transformers: one with secondary on the outside, the other with primary over secondary, both with amorphous cores.

The one with secondary closer to the core sounds better (to me).
No issues with a noise either.

Those are 300VA units with 50% larger dia. secondary wire.

Attachments

• tra.jpg
    tra.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 171
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.