Oscilloscope and Spectrum Analyzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Since money doesn't grow on tree :( (well except for certain variety;) )and since a spectrum analyzer cost more than my car :bawling:, what I would like to know is there a way to conver an oscilloscope into a spectrum analyzer? Is there a gadget/equipment I can use to conver an o-scope into a spectrum analyzer?:)

Thanks!

ABMOGGY

abmoggy said:
Hello,

Since money doesn't grow on tree :( (well except for certain variety;) )and since a spectrum analyzer cost more than my car :bawling:, what I would like to know is there a way to conver an oscilloscope into a spectrum analyzer? Is there a gadget/equipment I can use to conver an o-scope into a spectrum analyzer?:)

Thanks!

ABMOGGY

No, not very easily but you can get one of the Tektronix 1000 series scopes with FFT for less than $1500. It does not have the greatest dynamic range but it may be sufficient.

i have one of those TEK scopes with FFT -- they are great for looking for power supply problems -- but a dedicated spectrum analyzer or sound card is probably a better solution for the questioner --

SY points out the HP3581 -- I think that this is one of the best values for any DIY'r -- note that you can get a serial or USB port data-loggers from Jameco and elsewher which will dump your results right into Excel -- the HP3581 has really excellent dynamic range -- and you aren't going to see digital artifacts in the output. The HP3581 is like buying a Mercedes S600 Pullman for the price of a Ford Taurus.

http://www.tech-diy.com/HP3581/Hewlett Packard HP.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.