milspec opamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a search on the forum but couldnt find anything much at all...

Has anyone compared commercial spec opamps with industrial, military and space spec opamps variants of the same type?

I know the a certain well regarded phono uses milspec and the designer seemed to think it improved matters. Another amp designer that uses ad843 uses the space variant in the premium amp?

Has anyone checked this out before I go and blow my cash?

The most common benefit of milspec or NASA flight certified components is to survive hostile environments. If your listening room resembles a hostile environment. perhaps there would be a benefit. Normally improved audio quaility is not high on their priority list. One well known exception is the AD797 which is supossed to have been developed for sonar applications.

milspec

Thats what I thought - I used to work in military research doing space physics stuff. My understanding is that they are temp and radiation hardened. Does this equate to also working better at room temp as well?

I turn up the volume real loud so the environment is quite hostile ;)

Generally, mil-spec components are builded with tighter tolerances (both electrical parameters and mechanical dimensions); special selected case materials for withstand in a harsh environment / high/low temperatures, agressive chemicals etc. etc. They passes more control stages at building process. That establish a high reliability of mil devices.
I.e. military qualification is not related to top electrical parameters, but related to guaranteed parameters at all conditions.
So, we can find a very trivial devices like LM148 or 1N914 in a mil-spec form.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.