TI Samples

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone else been billed for half of the duty when ordering from Texas Instruments. I have received 8 boxes, and this was the first one that they billed me for. It was going to be $24, so I asked the ups guy to hold onto it until I heard back from TI. Does anyone know why this is?

Okay, here's a couple updates after emailing TI.

My bill was a mistake, wrong code into the computer, sent the bill to me instead of them.

OPA 627, 637 and a few others have reached their yearly quota, and there may or may not be any more this year. Check back next quarter.

The ups guy now knows me by name after delivering 10 boxes in the past month (from TI). :D

Have you guys noticed how many lots of 5 OPA627s are on ebay for sale. I don't blame TI for seting a quota or stopping shipping all together. And yes I have ordered one lot but have no intentions of selling them in or out of equipement.

Not looking to start a war Just my 2 cents:)
Hugh

Hugh M said:
Have you guys noticed how many lots of 5 OPA627s are on ebay for sale. I don't blame TI for seting a quota or stopping shipping all together. And yes I have ordered one lot but have no intentions of selling them in or out of equipement.

Not looking to start a war Just my 2 cents:)
Hugh

It IS illigal to sell those samples. But, the reason they stopped is because they filled thier quota, which the ebaying is partially a factor to.

Not according to the customs papers I got...unless digikey is registered under TI for tax purposes, or some wierd stuff like that.

Also, I would like to say that TI is a great company, they phoned ups, had them cancel the COD, sent a follow up to make sure I got the package, and reset my samples limits. :D

I think someone mentioned in some of the treads that there are 30,000 members of DIY Audio, so if lets say 30% members order 5 free samples (only) that is 45,000 free samples of let say OPA 637. If X amount of people order and post them on ebay for sale, you make the numbers.
Any abuse is not acceptable and it does hurt us all. I really hope that there are some ways to stop abusers. It is amazing that you could go and order over the web and in a short time find the samples nicely packed in front your door with not a single dollar put into.
So at least do not buy stuff from ebay when someone selling in lots of 5pcs, or 10 pcs.

ctardi said:
Not according to the customs papers I got...unless digikey is registered under TI for tax purposes, or some wierd stuff like that.

Also, I would like to say that TI is a great company, they phoned ups, had them cancel the COD, sent a follow up to make sure I got the package, and reset my samples limits. :D

Nice, They seem to be a great company!

Eight boxes is quite a bit..

They should just cut all opa627 and similar high priced items from their sample program. Unless of course it costs them nothing to make, who knows.

Also they seem to be reducing the number of DIP samples. They have a lot of smd parts available, but rairly dip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.