Looking for cheap trafo.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if anyone knows a good cheap place to buy new or used toroidal power transformers. I've checked around the internet search engines slightly, but really don't want to go through all 5200 or so websites ( i did go through about 50 of them, the various surplus stores and main ones).

So far, Parts Express has the best one I'm looking for (30-0-30 250VA), but I think $60 shipped is more that I want to give right now, beings I am kind of new to this.

Hi caxxxxxx,
I am in the same boat as you. I am in the market for a 30-0-30 500va toroid, the cheapest place that I have found is Partsexpress. Apexjr has some cheap ones but they dont have a huge range, but you can check anyway (thats if you havnt).

Lawrence

Joined 2002
Paid Member
caxxxxxx said:
Just wondering if anyone knows a good cheap place to buy new or used toroidal power transformers. I've checked around the internet search engines slightly, but really don't want to go through all 5200 or so websites ( i did go through about 50 of them, the various surplus stores and main ones).

So far, Parts Express has the best one I'm looking for (30-0-30 250VA), but I think $60 shipped is more that I want to give right now, beings I am kind of new to this.

Hi Caxxxxxx,

I was at a local surplus store earlier today and
saw a few 225VA 2x25VAC toridal transformers
for $10+tax CAD each. Will those work for you?

Cheers,
Dennis

Thanks a million for all the info, guys. Keep it coming. It looks like the trafo really is the most expensive part of an electronics project. I almost wonder if buying a broken down stereo/amp or battery charger, etc. is the way to go.

Anyone have any ideas how to test for max amperage on an unknown trafo without a load?? (my multitester won't do it, will an ammeter?)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
caxxxxxx said:
I almost wonder if buying a broken down stereo/amp or battery charger, etc. is the way to go.

That would certainly work and you can probably salvage other
parts as well. The downside is that you may not know what
you're getting until you take it apart.

Anyone have any ideas how to test for max amperage on an unknown trafo without a load?? (my multitester won't do it, will an ammeter?)

If it's an unknown toroidal transformer then you can get an
idea by comparing its size and weight with the mechanical
data from places like Plitron and Avel-Lindberg:

http://www.plitron.com/pages/Products/Std/mechanic.htm
http://www.avellindberg.com/transformers/y23_range_specs.htm

Cheers,
Dennis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.