Decoupling caps(again)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I studied some pcbs and i think I've come to terms with the ground plane. Thanks for your patience.
I am still confused about decoupling. TI tech said that I can use anything as long as voltage is sufficient. The pros and cons are physical size vs sound quality vs reliability. I live in farm country. The closest caps are a few days away except for what I have here. I have some 47uf bipolar, 3.3uf non polar, 4.7 non polar and 1uf polar electrolytics. I also have a bunch of tiny ceramics with # 22, 473, 473z, 103, npo181j.
What is the purpose of using a pair of caps per volt connection in parralel eg: 100n w/ 47uf? How are they arranged? Are Bipolar the same as non polar?
Thank you so much and please accept apology for asking so many questions. I promise I'll give back if I get it.
The knowledge at this place is far above the retail spectrum. I wish I had friends like you guys that I could have over for coffee.
Again...Thanks

Do some searching for a thread about using a "snubber" on the power supply of a gainclone. It should be a really LONG thread, maybe someone else will post a link. Snubberized.

There also might be an article at howstuffworks.com about how capacitors work.

What you will definately find is that people have to be in the proper mood to explain the very basics, because a bit of reading will allow you to answer your own questions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.