Panasonic FC vs Black Gate Standard - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2005, 06:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Panasonic FC vs Black Gate Standard

Which cap is better for CD-Player upgrade? I don't expect a war-thread - just opinions from real users. Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd April 2005, 11:03 PM   #2
GSI is offline GSI  Europe
diyAudio Member

Absolutely no comparison. BG Std is easily better. Panasonic FC is only standart electrolytics capacitor, no better than many others. In fact I somewhat dissapointed when tried it - dull upper midrange leads to annyoningly "thin" high frequencies. Overall sound balance "weight" concentrated in lower midrage. And even midbass is not good enough.
Old 26th April 2005, 09:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are Rubycon ZL/ZA series comparable to Black Gate Standard? Regarding their specs the ZL/ZA series should have lower ESR than BG Std.
Old 26th April 2005, 09:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Which cap in the cd player do you plan on upgrading? Coupling or PS? The only real way to know what is best for you is to try a selection of caps. What are the chances other people's tastes will be the same as yours?

I like BG and at lower voltages feel they represent very good value. At the same time they do have a specific sonic flavour which is not to everyone's liking. In some situations Elna Starget/Silmic may be more preferable in PS. As for coupling, BG-N are probably the best deal to be had in caps today - almost as good as the cheaper films, small and really dirt cheap.
Old 26th April 2005, 10:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I would like to use BG Standard or Rubycon ZL or Panasonic FC for the PS section of the player (to replace the existing Nippon Chemi-con AVF, ASF and W electrolytics) because of their nice price/uF/voltage ratio compared to the more expensive FK/N/NX series.

But I am still wondering which caps to choose...

I have already ordered NX-Hi-Qs for coupling.
Old 26th April 2005, 10:13 AM   #6
renes3 is offline renes3  Zimbabwe
diyAudio Member

Reaction,

Go for BG-N, it is the best thing for your ps. My cd player got 12 of these caps in the ps lines, they are still running in, but the results so far seem promising to me.

René
Old 26th April 2005, 10:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I simply couldn't afford the Nx series - I have to replace 12 caps x ~$30-50 each...

I don't think I will hear the $300 difference
Old 26th April 2005, 10:57 AM   #8
foo is offline foo  Tibet
diyAudio Member

go ahead and try BG-NX .
I used to think the sameway as u .
But now i have 20 BG-NX in my PS .
As to Coupling , it's no better than my silver wire .
Old 27th April 2005, 08:30 PM   #9
pburke is offline pburke  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reaction
I simply couldn't afford the Nx series - I have to replace 12 caps x ~$30-50 each...

I don't think I will hear the $300 difference

why not use Panasonic FCs or Nichicon Muse KZ for the large values, but all the caps right before the actual chips that consume power are usually small values and lower voltage. Those are the places where you should put the BGs. Most important are the caps around the clock. Hell, just replace the whole regulator there and put something decent in there. The $12 on the 100uF BG that feeds my clock was one of the biggest improvements in my system over the last 6 months and well worth the extra cost.

Peter
Old 27th April 2005, 08:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

There is a 220uF/35V Nichicon Muse cap which feeds my clock just after a 5V regulator. My schematic originally indicates that this cap should be 35V!

Is it posible to replace it with bigger value and lower voltage one - 470uF/6.3V BG NX for example?

Can I bypass a big value BG NX cap with 0.1uF NX Hi-Q cap instead of a film one?

Hide this!Advertise here!