mixer module power supply query.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
greetings all..many thanks for all the useful info I've plundered from these pages the past months!
I am aiming to build up a custom mixer/pre-amp for sound sytem use..my experience is limited (don't worry, I'm ready for the steep learning curve) so I hope to use some circuit kits that I came across, from Partridge electronics, UK.
My query is this; The modules require a 24v single rail supply. Now it seems to me that the majority of audio circuits I see are powered by dual supplies, generally 15v. I have also scoured the forum..and noted in one thread that a mod to dual supply is a good way to improve a cheap mixer circuit. I asked the guy at partridge if he could tell me the difference and he claims that HI-END pro equipment is more often single supply rail. Can anyone help me to understand the differences a bit better as these sources seem to contradict each other.
I have worked out how I can provide a dual supply for any other sections I include that I cannot build for the single supply..will there be other problems associated with mixng the two in one system?
These modules are described as broadcast quality and these guys seem to make some nice custom desks so should be good..any ideas?

I'm very grateful for any input here...all helps me to become more self sufficient! One Love, Jeth

Attachments

• roll 54 - 3.jpeg
    roll 54 - 3.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 79
Do the preamps use IC's or do they use transistors?

If the circuits are based on IC's, you can use a bipolar power supply rather than a single +24 volt supply.
If the circuits are based on transistors, things can get a little more difficult.

Tell us more about the circuits or give us a link to the circuits.

Hey frank...many thanks for your reply.

Haven't actually seen the modules as yet, no pics on the partridge site...I had simply assumed they were IC based..I will call them to check on this and get back to you.
It had not occured to me that the IC's could simply be provided with split supply...this will mean I have to find a suitably regulated, smoothed supply to replace the 24v single rail...shouldn't be too hard.
Can you give me any idea if the split supply is preferable for any reason...is it true that quality pro kit is mainly single supply, if so why?
Thanks again for your help...will post again once I know more! Jeth

Just called Partridge electronics...It seems that the circuits use Ic's, but also transistor input...probably makes dual supply out of the question...Do you think I'm better off sticking with dual supply circuits...this will mean more time to find required circuits, layout and obtain pcb's...I've searched long and hatd but these really seem to be the only modular kits suitable for building a complete audio mixer.

If you need to build one in a hurry, I would go with these kits.
It has been my experience that truly professional mixing consoles do not use single-ended power supplies.
I have installed some of the best-known console brands in the world. Without exception, they use bipolar power supplies for their microphone preamps.
I have designed and constructed consoles. Mine have always been powered by + and - 15 (or 18) volt supplies.

Cheers again for your input...As it happens i was just sitting here working out if I can achieve something similar using the esp / delta kits which are both dual 15v. I think doing it this way will make it easier to find layouts etc for the other sections I require...as i mentioned...designing anything from scratch is quite beyond me at circuit level..think I can handle it at system level, as it were. thanks again, Jeth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.