Audiophyle resistors in signal paths

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is your opinion about sound of diferent types of resistors used in audio electronics (solid state). I know that Dale , Vishay , Draloric , Mills have very good resistors , but they can be very expesive or hard to find/buy.
What experience do you have with Welwyn PCF series and RC55 series of 0.1% precission resistors?

...and let's take care for the right polarity... :angel:

Back to topic:
I am convinced that I am not deaf, but I did not notice
major differences in sound for the small signal resistors.
Even when I was trying to measure the noise of cheap carbon
types versus metalized or metal film types... I could not find a
major difference (Nevertheless I am using ussually the 1% metalized types).
Completely different is the situation in power resistors.
The inductance of wire wound types is not always neglectible.
Sometimes this does not harm....
...sometimes it causes differences in sound ... and somtimes it causes oscillation effects of power amplifiers...

ChocoHolic said:
...and let's take care for the right polarity... :angel:

Back to topic:
I am convinced that I am not deaf, but I did not notice
major differences in sound for the small signal resistors.
Even when I was trying to measure the noise of cheap carbon
types versus metalized or metal film types... I could not find a
major difference (Nevertheless I am using ussually the 1% metalized types).
Completely different is the situation in power resistors.
The inductance of wire wound types is not always neglectible.
Sometimes this does not harm....
...sometimes it causes differences in sound ... and somtimes it causes oscillation effects of power amplifiers...

I'm starting to be convinced that I'm just a deaf idiot. I can't hear a difference between Vishay/Dale RNC55 series and Vishay S102/RNC90Y and Caddock Mk120/MK132/VTxxx. It's actually pretty scary. It might just be that I don't know what to listen for, or the rest of my system isn't of high enough resolution yet.

I've pretty much settled on putting in the resistors that I think *look coolest* for the design. I'm buying some dralorics (partsconnexion has 'em pretty damn cheap at $0.15 in 1-249 qty I think), because they have tight specs AND they're colorful.

I probably just turned the stomache of a lot of tweakers.. I did decide, though, that I like making my stuff with the best possible parts, and spending a little extra for some cool resistors really doesn't bother me ;) Maybe it's just piece of mind knowing that I put some quality stuff in there. Go figure!

Mike

just a deaf idiot

No, no. The deaf idiots in my book don't attempt to listen to anything. They much prefer making armchair statements. IF you actually listened and there was no difference then it's cool.

putting in the resistors that I think *look coolest* for the design

The same approach many (mostly German?) 'high end' companies adopt. A piece of clear acrylic on top is mandatory.

I personally can't afford to spend money on looks. Most of the time tantalums and Rikens are good enough for me.

analog_sa said:

No, no. The deaf idiots in my book don't attempt to listen to anything. They much prefer making armchair statements. IF you actually listened and there was no difference then it's cool.

Well, I should specify that I have had quite a bit of trauma to my ears over my 26 years.. I've had numerous ear infections, as well as scarring on my ear drums from tubes. But from my hearing tests, I guess my left ear is still in almost perfect shape, while the right is 3db down or so on the high end.

But, I have tried it! I can tell the difference in larger changes, but maybe just not at the resistor level yet. I'm trying to learn what to listen for -- it's definitely hard doing it solo with no experience audiophile(fools?) around to give me the pointers ;) (I only say fools because damnit, we spend too much money on this hobby! It's like crack cocaine!)

analog_sa said:

The same approach many (mostly German?) 'high end' companies adopt. A piece of clear acrylic on top is mandatory.

I personally can't afford to spend money on looks. Most of the time tantalums and Rikens are good enough for me.

Was that tongue-in-cheek? Riken's and tants are like 15-30x more expensive than the dralorics. Sorry, sometimes sarcasm is hard for me to detect over the 'net. The Riken's look cool, tants just look rather pedestrian ;) Not sure how they sound -- from what I've read, there seems to be two camps that tants are either the best or the worst resistors out there.

I haven't tried my Riken's yet.. I have a few waiting to go into some gear. I also have a honkin' load of Corning Glassware Carbon Comp 2% resistors. I bought a few on ebay and these are by far the coolest looking and well-built resistors I've touched. They LOOK military and way over built. I even hit one with a hair dryer from about 2 inches to see how bad it'd drift with temperature and it was only like 30 ohms on a 33k resistor.

I did buy an crapload of Vishay S102/RNC90Y's and various caddocks from surplus sales for pretty cheap to try out. It gives me a warm fuzzy to know I'm putting a $6-$20 resistor in my gear :D If nothing else, it's great for bragging rights and artificially inflating the value of my home-made gear!

No, analog is being serious. He claims to be able to hear all sorts of wonderful things that have escaped both lesser ears and the realm of science. Frankly, I can't hear most of that stuff and think it's most likely self-delusion (analog is very vocal about eschewing any controlled listening test), but that's probably because of my Borg heritage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.