OpAmp as a follower, with a resistor from out to -in instead of a wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm working on a project, and I need an opamp used as a follower, but for practical reasons, instead of having a wire from output to -in, there will be a resistor (but no resistor from -in to ground)

Is this worse than a direct connection? Can this cause problems? Is there an optimal value (impedance matching between -in and +in?) ?

feedback R in unity gain can be destablizing if the R value is too high and adds phase shift to the feedback path due to op amp input Cin * Rfdbk

depends on the op amp, a few hundred Ohms is usually ok, much higher R and you may need to add a small C in parallel with the R

Bricolo said:
Hi,

I'm working on a project, and I need an opamp used as a follower, but for practical reasons, instead of having a wire from output to -in, there will be a resistor (but no resistor from -in to ground)

Is there an optimal value (impedance matching between -in and +in?) ?
Check the data sheet for AD797,that opamp needs a 100ohms resistor in the feedback when used as a follower

Bricolo said:
isn't adding a small cap there always a good idea?
Not with an current feedback opamp ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.