how to genrate gerber file - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2005, 01:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how to genrate gerber file

Hi all,
I dont know how to genrate gerber file in protel 99se or protel DXP, Its a .pcb file so can anyone help me on this ?
Old 2nd April 2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I don't have an answer.

I am surprised nobody has come forward with one to date.

I would just point out that there is a DXP forum run by Altium, makers of Protel, plus other forums listed on the link below that would seem to be the place to go.

http://forums.altium.com/
sci.electronics.cad
http://www.altium.com/protel/resources/index.html

Good luck!
Old 2nd April 2005, 12:41 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Just for fun, I'm moving your inquiry to another section to see if it gets more response.
Old 2nd April 2005, 12:49 PM   #4
tool49 is offline tool49  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok, I think I can help you with that.

First open your PCB file in Protel.
Then click on the File menu.
Choose the Fabrication Outputs submenu.
In this menu should be the choice for Gerber Files.
Select the proper options for the Gerber output and press OK, the files should be generated in an instant.

Hope this helps!
Sébastien
Old 2nd April 2005, 01:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by tool49
First open your PCB file in Protel.
Then click on the File menu.
Choose the Fabrication Outputs submenu.
In this menu should be the choice for Gerber Files.
Select the proper options for the Gerber output and press OK, the files should be generated in an instant.
It's still not everything that is needed. Running Gerber fabrication output produces CAM files (don't worry about error report, it does not affect results). You have to export those files using File -> Export -> Gerber menu. You need to create a folder to which you want to export those files. Make sure the format is RS274X.

When choosing layers, you don't need to mirror them.

You can later view those Gerber files using Pentalogic Viemate software (free, google it) and print them in actual size.

Additionaly, you will need to generate NC Drill files. Make sure you set the format to RS274X. You don't export the drill as Gerber, but save it as .drl file (in the same folder as other gerber files). Here's the menu choices for generating drill files:

File -> Fabrication Outputs -> NC Drill
File -> Export -> Save Drill
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd April 2005, 01:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

It's still not everything that is needed. Running Gerber fabrication output produces CAM files (don't worry about error report, it does not affect results). You have to export those files using File -> Export -> Gerber menu. You need to create a folder to which you want to export those files. Make sure the format is RS274X.

When choosing layers, you don't need to mirror them.

You can later view those Gerber files using Pentalogic Viemate software (free, google it) and print them in actual size.

Additionaly, you will need to generate NC Drill files. Make sure you set the format to RS274X. You don't export the drill as Gerber, but save it as .drl file (in the same folder as other gerber files). Here's the menu choices for generating drill files:

File -> Fabrication Outputs -> NC Drill
File -> Export -> Save Drill
After you generate the Gerbers you should examine them in a Gerber viewer like Pentalogix's "Viewmate" -- on more than one occasion I have found a trace which appeared fine on the PCB program, but came into contact (or too close proximity) in the Gerber View -- saves on expensive errors.
Old 2nd April 2005, 02:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JensRasmussen Send a message via MSN to JensRasmussen
Why does the format have to be 274X?

\Jens
Old 2nd April 2005, 02:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's also good to print them out. I had a similar case when it seemed to look fine on a screen, but after printing I noticed discontinuity in one of the traces. Without printing I wouldn't be aware of that.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd April 2005, 02:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JensRasmussen
Why does the format have to be 274X?

\Jens
I'm not sure why. Brian told me to do it this way and it worked with my PCB fab house.
Old 2nd April 2005, 02:21 PM   #10
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

I could be wrong, but I think PCB fabs prefer 274x because the drill info is embedded rather than in a separate file. This reduces set-up time and a source for effors. Justtrying to recall on the fly so don't take this for gospel.

Hide this!Advertise here!