Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2005, 07:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EPOS Sikorel - Any good?

Hello

I'm constructing a dual mono power supply 2x10,000uF per rail (8 in total) and have heard that Siemens Sikorel Caps would be the best to use i.e. sound the best. However these have been discontinued and replaced by EPOS Sikorel - has anybody used these are they the same? do they sound the same?

Please can somebody also recommend capacitors they have used or rate them in order?

Any brand recommendations for the transformer - Nuvotem from R&S are the easist to get here in Barcelona

Thanks

Stephen
Old 1st April 2005, 08:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yes they are the same.
EPCOS is new groupation (former Siemens) and the technology is same.
But, if you care about stamped name on the caps, try RS-components, they still lists some of the Siemens Sikorel 10k uF 63V.
Otherwise they are the fastest and most durable caps to my knowledge (they can put over 30A under extreme conditions, where the 90% others cooks)

Hope this help
Old 1st April 2005, 08:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: EPOS Sikorel - Any good?

.Please can somebody also recommend capacitors they have used or rate them in order?

Hm, today you have really good choice.
I used Evox-Rifa PEH200, BHC ALS 40, Nichicon Gold tune, Nichicon LQ(M).

All they sounds good, however I was mostly satisfied with Nichicons Gold tune, and recently LQ (those are cheap but excellent, although sometimes hard to find). I saw them implemented in Gryphons, Aurdio Research etc.

Now, that's depends on what is the pourpose of your power supply- if it for power amp, then I would use multiple smaller LQ's (10k uF/80V), e.g 4-6 per line.
The others cited cans were just as replacement and I did not noticed big differencies, although the Evox/BHC are pretty similar, very low ESR (14-16mOhms, if I remeber correct), so both are good if you have space for just one or two.

Otherwise, go for multiple smaller (even 6800uF). This will decrease drastically ESR, and speed rise tima and current capability.
And, don't forget modern rectifier diodes. If it is possible, go for powerfull Schottky, without bypass ceramics
Old 1st April 2005, 12:33 PM   #4
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I used some in a bosoz.However without doing too many ABs I thought they didnīt sound that great.Particularly considering the huge price.
Old 1st April 2005, 01:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by protos
I used some in a bosoz.However without doing too many ABs I thought they didnīt sound that great.Particularly considering the huge price.

You mean Schottkies, Sikorel's, or what...?
Old 1st April 2005, 05:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks all so far for your responses, Yes I am building a power amp supply
I was thinking of using 4x4700uf per rail as an alternative or even 1x10000uf and 1x 4700uf per rail - don't quite know how i'm gonna fit all these in the case though
Old 2nd April 2005, 11:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

you might also want to consider RIFA's other series called PEH169.
That is RIFAs flagship.

A RIFA PEH169 10 000u/63V has an ESR at 100 Hz of 14 mOhm, and at 100 kHz only 9 mOhm.
Inductance is 16 nH.

I use 6 of 33 000 u/63V for each channel, and also have a large polyprop and a 100n polystyrene in paralell with the big caps.
All RIFAs.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sigurd
Old 5th April 2005, 09:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just calcalated my case size, can just fit 4X4700uf per rail for each monoblock.
So I think I'll do that, thanks
Old 6th April 2005, 04:05 PM   #9
Gasho is offline Gasho  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I can buy Rifa PEH200 series electrolytic caps , ar they good as 169 series?

I used some "BC components" 2222 154 series (computer grade with screw terminals) electrolytic caps , and they sounds wonderfull to me , extremly precise and deep bass with fast and smooth mids and treble. Very nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11210001.jpg (5.9 KB, 764 views)
Old 6th April 2005, 04:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I can buy Rifa PEH200 series electrolytic caps , ar they good as 169 series?

To me, there's not too much difference between PEH200 and say BHC ALS 30. I tried both of them in some older (but respectable)Sansui amps, and nothing changed in sonic term (the other components in the PS are Sanken FMG22S and -S 100ns diodes, Elna film bypass and small elco's, original Sansui 460VA EI transformer, and some discrete regulation).

I don't have a direct experience with 169, but I'm not impressed with 200's. I use Nichicons LQ where needed since I have good source here in Croatia, and they are very affordable (read: cheap, 6,5Ä for 10000 uF/80V). If these are implemented in Krell FPB series, why not to use them?

Gasho, e-mail me if you're interested

Hide this!Advertise here!