using steel chassis as ground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interested in a transformer based passive preamp from Elecro-print that uses the steel case as ground (negative) for all input, output and potentiometer connections. The female chassis output RCA's have only a positive interconnect cable and use the chassis connection as ground. How does this compare to 2 wire connections, aluminum case, isolated components and no chassis ground. This is how my present non-transformer passive is constructed and I have no hum problems. Using a case instead of wire concerns me.

Hi,
You must connect the mains safety earth to the steel chassis, no other option is permissible. Some manufacturers connect each removable metal panel with a flexible cord (wire) back to safety earth or adjacent fixed panel for added safety.
Many manufacturers and DIY isolate the chassis from signal and power ground. It helps stop hum and buzzing contaminating the signal ground and therefore your output should be cleaner.
A few do make direct connection from chassis to ground, but I have tried a few versions of this and none have been successful.
I recommend separate power ground, signal ground and final single wire between. A separate safety ground with 10R connection to power ground.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.