upgrade for BA4560N OP AMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4560 are pretty low end.
Try any of the usual suspects: NE5532, OPA2604, OPA2132, OPA2134, or even LM833, NJM4580 (I like the clone made by Texas Instruments, RC4580) willl be an improvement. Some people like high speed opamps such as LM6172, which were not specifially designed for audio but work of course. They are usually noisier than the audio types and can be finicky about layout, oscillating rather easilly. Since you are replacing opamps in an existing circuit and have no control over circuit layout, you should probably stay away from such things unless you are feeling especially adventurous, and know how to test for oscillating and how to correct it. Seaching these forums on the part numbers above will yield many many posts on the topic of opamp replacements.

macboy said:
4560 are pretty low end.
Try any of the usual suspects: NE5532, OPA2604, OPA2132, OPA2134, or even LM833, NJM4580 (I like the clone made by Texas Instruments, RC4580) willl be an improvement. Some people like high speed opamps such as LM6172, which were not specifially designed for audio but work of course. They are usually noisier than the audio types and can be finicky about layout, oscillating rather easilly. Since you are replacing opamps in an existing circuit and have no control over circuit layout, you should probably stay away from such things unless you are feeling especially adventurous, and know how to test for oscillating and how to correct it. Seaching these forums on the part numbers above will yield many many posts on the topic of opamp replacements.
hi macboy, thanks for the response. i guess i should have mentioned that these are in a sub plate amp. i'm familiar and have used most of the amps youv'e suggested but, my problem is, these are 8 pin inline, instead of the usual 4 pins per side? or are some of the mentioned op amps also, available in the inline type package? thanks again, crippledchicken

:)

Not many opamps are available in a sip8 package.
But there is a trick you can do to use a quad opamp in place of the sip-8 dual opamp. You'll notice that the seven pins on one side of a quad opamp are laid out the same as 7 of the 8 pins of a sip-8 package. So take a quad opamp, 'flatten' it out, and cut off all the pins on one side, except the power supply pin, which you'll have to connect with a wire to the 8th pin hole.
Quad opamps include OPA4132, OPA4134, and LM837.

Another alternative is to buy (or make) a sip convertor. You may be able to find at suitable soic-to-sip unit at Dig-key here. (note that I searched on Digi-key Canada's site, so those are Canadian prices).

macboy said:
Not many opamps are available in a sip8 package.
But there is a trick you can do to use a quad opamp in place of the sip-8 dual opamp. You'll notice that the seven pins on one side of a quad opamp are laid out the same as 7 of the 8 pins of a sip-8 package. So take a quad opamp, 'flatten' it out, and cut off all the pins on one side, except the power supply pin, which you'll have to connect with a wire to the 8th pin hole.
Quad opamps include OPA4132, OPA4134, and LM837.

Another alternative is to buy (or make) a sip convertor. You may be able to find at suitable soic-to-sip unit at Dig-key here. (note that I searched on Digi-key Canada's site, so those are Canadian prices).
WOW! very nifty trick i'll have to check into that. thanks alot, crippledchicken

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.