PS filter caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´m building a class A guitar amp, and I have problems to get the filter caps. Anyways I son´t know if I better use polipropilene caps or electrolitic caps, polipropilene ones are suppose to be better, but, Can I chage the polarizated electrolitic caps to a non polarizated polipropilene ones??

Hi,
you can use polypropylene capacitors in your PSU.
I have an old Conrad Johnson preamp that has no electrolytics anywhere. This is supposed to improve the sound quality and considering I have their cheapest model I agree with them.
You can replace only part of the electrolytic to polyfilm eg. 99%electro+1%film to gain some of the benefit.

shusha said:
You can not use non-polarized caps as filters in PSU. As a matter of fact there are no non-polarized caps of greater capacity.

Why not?
Just put two large polarized electrolytics together to get a non-polar.

"Can I chage the polarizated electrolitic caps to a non polarizated polipropilene ones"

Yes but simply bypassing with polypropylene is better because you wont lose the large amount of capacitance the electrolytics have.

Be sure to use the recommended amount of capacitance for the expected current draw. You should be able to find surplus caps locally for cheap, just make sure they are not too old.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.