Surface mount components poorly regarded - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2009, 06:15 AM   #51
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Question Mirand A1 i have made.

I Wonder what did go wrong with my design.

I believe that people was frightend by the number fo SMT parts on the board.

Even Hugh from AKSA said that the price was nearly to fair!

The swedish hififorum.nu did some comparison to valveamplifiers. And they where satisfied with it:
"Enligt mina öron lät det
Rytmniskt steg som levererat ett djup och en potent botten. Dessutom skall man komma ihåg att steget inte är inspelat än "

"Den spelade RIKTIGT bra!!! Skall se om jag kan få lite mer INTRYCK.
Det som jag kommer på nu är att den spelar djupt. HELA (?) basregistret är med."

Just to mention a two of the responses. So i was i bit pussled about only selling 10 units.

I will maybe start up making a second attempt as i have a SMT machine and oven. And then i will only produce them as preassembled board, then people can concentrate on making stunning enclousure instead...
The enclousure is the sign of a person DIY work.

So if it dies out again.... Then burn buren!!!
Old 1st March 2009, 12:20 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Once you get used to SMD it is all you will want to use. I use an OKi MFR series station with tweezers and it makes SMD a breeze. I am much faster both soldering and desoldering SMD components (0603 through big QFP packages) than I am with through-hole stuff.

The only exception to this is SMD devices with thermal pads meant to be attached to the board. Those are a serious pain unless you have a hot air machine / reflow oven / etc. And even then they can be very difficult.
Old 7th September 2010, 03:27 PM   #53
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

SMD FTW!! indeed once you are used to working with SMD, you really find it difficult to justify using anything else. I need to build myself an oven with controller, love the links in here. tghinking i'll get that infraoven and then build a controller with it.

of course some devices are simply not available, but that list is becoming smaller and smaller, with Si fets available, zfoil resistors available (within a limited range of values) and pretty nice film caps too, really dont get this whole thing on here and other forums where people will simply replace or remove anything SMD, often without even knowing what its for; hell sometimes in spite of knowing what its for!! like a particular brand of fool that replaces ceramic decoupling caps in a clock circuit and replaces it with massive inductive airsculptures made of old nos oil caps or of course blackgates, you know that blackgate is great at everything, fantastic in the Mhz range too....

funniest thing ive seen I think was someone unknowingly replacing SMD oscons with leaded ones and using wima metalized film somewhere where an SMD PPS or pet would have fit quite easily. its too funny

Hide this!Advertise here!