DIY RCA type interconnect cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2005, 06:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY RCA type interconnect cables

This is my first post here in a LONG time, but I just thought that I might share something that I have just recently had luck with.

I have been using Carol brand security/data cable for making my RCA cables(NEC type CMR, CL3R; 3/18 [shielded] Carol Cat. No. E2-033S). I started using it because I can get it for free(working at in industrial electrical supplier), and because Carol uses very pure copper for their cable. However, even though those are good reasons, I must say that I think it works very well for RCA type cables.

The 18 AWG has very little resistance; and the shielding works as well as any other type of shielding. Plus-, I think it is cheaper and more reliable than any comparable coaxial cable available at your local electronics store.

-Cheers

...So how many people think that I am using the "wrong" kind of cable?
Old 9th March 2005, 07:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your cable is fine. I've been using Belden 8451 cable for years.
Like the Carol E2-033S, it's got a 100% shield and performs very well.

... Of course, it doesn't cost $50 per foot so it can't be any good.
Old 9th March 2005, 08:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So how many people think that I am using the "wrong" kind of cable?

A difficult question to answer. Have you compared this cable against at least entry level commercial examples?

PVC is probably the worst sounding dielectric known to mankind. Why select it for an audio cable? The copper is probably worse than what you find inside CAT5. And does it really need a screen? Hopefully you don't use it to carry signal.
Old 9th March 2005, 07:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa

A difficult question to answer. Have you compared this cable against at least entry level commercial examples?

PVC is probably the worst sounding dielectric known to mankind. Why select it for an audio cable? The copper is probably worse than what you find inside CAT5.
What are you talking about? Why would the insulation adversely affect the signal? If we were talking about a medium voltage AC signal I might see your point(or even if I knew what you meant)- But we are talking about a 0.14 V DC signal, with a current in the milliamp range; two signals of that nature running side by side would cause little or no interference with each other.

And I don't know that the copper qualilty is worse than CAT5; I'm not a metallurgist, so I can't do any chemical testing, but I'm pretty sure it's equal in quality.

...Like Frank says... if ain't $50 a foot, it ain't no good...
Old 9th March 2005, 07:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PVC is probably the worst sounding dielectric known to mankind.
Interesting, where do those claims come from? Is there any evidence that support statements like this? Or are those statements on the level of those by UFO abductees?
Old 9th March 2005, 08:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So how many people think that I am using the "wrong" kind of cable?
It's probably the right cable for you Sir. Or even too good. What's wrong with the freebie cables that come with the stereo anyway?

Hide this!Advertise here!