DIY RCA type interconnect cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first post here in a LONG time, but I just thought that I might share something that I have just recently had luck with.

I have been using Carol brand security/data cable for making my RCA cables(NEC type CMR, CL3R; 3/18 [shielded] Carol Cat. No. E2-033S). I started using it because I can get it for free(working at in industrial electrical supplier), and because Carol uses very pure copper for their cable. However, even though those are good reasons, I must say that I think it works very well for RCA type cables.

The 18 AWG has very little resistance; and the shielding works as well as any other type of shielding. Plus-, I think it is cheaper and more reliable than any comparable coaxial cable available at your local electronics store.

-Cheers

...So how many people think that I am using the "wrong" kind of cable?

So how many people think that I am using the "wrong" kind of cable?

A difficult question to answer. Have you compared this cable against at least entry level commercial examples?

PVC is probably the worst sounding dielectric known to mankind. Why select it for an audio cable? The copper is probably worse than what you find inside CAT5. And does it really need a screen? Hopefully you don't use it to carry signal.

analog_sa said:

A difficult question to answer. Have you compared this cable against at least entry level commercial examples?

PVC is probably the worst sounding dielectric known to mankind. Why select it for an audio cable? The copper is probably worse than what you find inside CAT5.

What are you talking about? Why would the insulation adversely affect the signal? If we were talking about a medium voltage AC signal I might see your point(or even if I knew what you meant)- But we are talking about a 0.14 V DC signal, with a current in the milliamp range; two signals of that nature running side by side would cause little or no interference with each other.

And I don't know that the copper qualilty is worse than CAT5; I'm not a metallurgist, so I can't do any chemical testing, but I'm pretty sure it's equal in quality.

...Like Frank says... if ain't $50 a foot, it ain't no good...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.