Computer Grade/Inverter Grade Cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all expert,

Anyone can explain what is Computer Grade Cap and Inverter Grade Cap? (Other than used in computer and inverter.;) )

I know the computer grade cap is more expensive. Some of them are in high voltge (e.g. 450V DC), it doesn't look like used in computer......

I think it may be just 2 grade of cap (obviously higher than ordinary cap).

But what is the specification/range for a cap can be called as computer grade/inverter grade?

Computer Grade is higher or Inverter Grade is higher?

Thank you in advance.

Tuna Fish:)

Cornell-Dubilier's 550C inverter-grade capacitor combines low ESR values and 15,000-hour full-rated life for use in motor-drive and inverter applications. The 550C is available in capacitance values as high as 35,000 µF at 200V and to 8100 µF at 450V. Rated ripple currents are as high as 45A at 120 Hz and 85°C. Expected operating life is 15,000 hours at rated conditions and 100,000 hours at 65°C and 80% rated ripple current.

Looks like high current and low ESR.

Im assuming computer grade is just low ESR and long life as well..

The high voltage caps(eg 450v) are for SMPS primary side switching power stage.

Talking about computer/inverter grade caps,think about low ESR,able to sustain high frequency ripple,fast discharging(if i was not wrong).

But as for audio,doesn't mean that they are absolutely suitable.

If computer/inverter caps are really suitable,then no such things as "audio grade caps"!:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.