PCB creating software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

FWIW, I thought I'd post my experience on the topic here.
I have downloaded a variety of programs for converting schematics to PCB layouts and have found that the very best, ONCE YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH A TUTORIAL (!), is EAGLE 4.13 from www.cadsoft.de.

The program is easy to learn (but don't try to find your way without a tutorial) and produces fabulous results (including single-sided PCB's and ground planes) in seconds from a schematic. Also included is an auto-route function, although the more experienced diy'ers suggest that nothing beats manual routing.

I am still finding my feet on component selection (the library is vast) but this software appears to be the hobbyists answer to creating great pcb's!

My 2c after a long search for good software.
Ryan

Hi,
i also ended up with Eagle. I purchased the proffesional version for the PCB module only. I do the schematics in the free version.

If you are going to buy it talk directly to cadsoft in the states and you will save a lot of money. I was able to buy it from them even tho i live in Sweden.

I also canned Bill Gates from my home so eagle really was the only option when running Linux.

my 2 cents

/Kari

Kari,

Thanks for the suggestions. A quick question:

I have set-up a simlpe circuit in schematic editor, with ground and Vcc both defned as a bus. I then select the "board" option, which takes me to the PCB section. But none of my Vcc connections show. How do I rectify this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.