Good switch for Stepped attentuater, Good cheap RCA jacks - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2005, 07:20 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

To Sigurd : Reason will be not tracking error, 'cos although Alps's have declared error 3.5 dB ( blue ) and 2.5 dB ( black ), their really error is much lower ( bellow 1 dB at all tape up to - 60 dB ). If you hear differences, it must be something other .
Old 8th March 2005, 07:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Upupa Epops - if that is the case, then it surely is the stepped attenuator that does it all. I am really glad I bought it. Was a bit difficult to assemble, but after 3h work, it was ready to be installed in my preamp.

My next idea is to exchange some of the resistors (the ones that are most frequently used) with either Vishay Bulk Metal Foil resistors or Caddock MK132s. The Caddocks are rectangular and will be hard to fit into the small space availble in the ELMA rotary switch. Same with the Vishay S102s and also the naked ones made by Texas Components, the TX2352s.

The price is 119 Euro for ELMA rotary switch and the resistor. That is including the German VAT which is 16%. A bargain for the sound improvement it gives - IMHO.

Sigurd
Old 8th March 2005, 08:26 PM   #13
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Ok well I ordered a small sample of them, 4, see how I like em. They do look a bit rough and they look like the supposedly steel oens that are used on products like my Acurus amplifier. They are so cheap that I can gonna try experimenting with them in a manner similar to Eichmen maybe. Try cutting the metal outer band so that the contact is smaller, creating a supposed greater concentration of electrons. If it doesnt work, oh well, no harm no foul.

I really do prefer and enjoy using the over priced thick teflon dialectric copper or brass base metal connectors from the likes of Cardas and Vampire. I dont agree that what you have shown is the equal of them, but they probably are a good buy. My biggest complaint about the plastic dialectrics is that its melts when soldering them, sometimes seeping around the center conduter if its not a ring, which is probably better than a ring for conductivity, but less than ideal for reliability. But placing an unused plug into the jack usually works well enough as a heat sink, so I will just try that. Thanks again.

As for the stepped attentuator, again, I am gonna start with trying to make one myself. I have Holco resistors galore, and at 8-12 cents a piece, are pretty cheap for a good sounding resistor. I just wondered if any other option, other than the Elma rotary switches, existed. They are, Im sure, very good, but pricey too.
Old 9th March 2005, 03:11 AM   #14
scone is offline scone  United States
diyAudio Member

Allied has gold plated rca's for a bit more ($2.34 each). I haven't tried them yet, but I probably will for my next project. I like their catalog since they sell pretty much everything...

Here's the link:
http://www.alliedelec.com/cart/Produ...SC=ZC%2D2750GR

Anyone use these before? They are manufactured by Alectron
Old 9th March 2005, 07:02 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Have you seen this alps switch? http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/4pol24posals.html
Price is right, I haven't tried one myself but have heard good things about it.
Mark
Old 9th March 2005, 08:33 PM   #16
DC Dave is offline DC Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

For $2.10 each shipped I don't think you can beat these RCA jacks in terms of value and quality

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...750514640&rd=1

I bought some a few months ago from the same place on Ebay and they are great. Very heavy and solid. When I run out I will buy them again. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th March 2005, 09:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I bought some of these and there not bad for 1.50 each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...757983031&rd=1
Old 9th March 2005, 10:34 PM   #18
hermanv is offline hermanv  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Incremental upgrades

Yes I too have the bug to continuously improve my system. The person who introduced me to the high end advised strongly not to go the incremental upgrade route.

His advice was as follows: "You'll just spend way more money in the long run improving each piece in gradual steps than you will getting the very best you can possibly afford for each piece as you go" Of course I ignored his advice and have since replaced every piece more than once, guess what? he was right.

I built a passive pre using a solid silver switch (Schallco) and Vishay foil resistors, pure silver wire and excellent Cardas RCA jacks. I am delighted with the result and am pretty sure this piece will never need upgrading. The parts cost me $350 not counting a chassis. I bought a n inexpesive passive on the used market, gutted it and used the box, knobs, front panel etc. So I don't have a homemade look and sound close to as good as it gets.

I know you could shop arround and get all the same functionality for probably less than half, but I've never heard any volume POT that matches a stepped resistor ladder. And next year or the year after that, you'll once again wonder if your pre-amp might be the limitation in your system.
Old 10th March 2005, 07:03 AM   #19
scone is offline scone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For $2.10 each shipped I don't think you can beat these RCA jacks in terms of value and quality
Same ebay seller also has a deal for 20 rca jacks for $12 (not the heavy duty ones mentioned by Dave). Even after $8 shipping rate, I'd pay $1/jack. That's the best deal I've seen yet. They look pretty decent too.

They also sell some nice looking binding posts...
Old 10th March 2005, 09:32 PM   #20
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
actually those heavy duty ones look nice, I may try those out and see. Maybe use some better ones from Cardas on the amp output jacks and Vinyl unput jacks. I have a few sources I dont care as much about, but those two are important to me, dont want to compromise. Another person showed some that, though they are better priced, look identical to Radioshacks, and if they are, are complete junk. I had a set litterally fall apart just form use in a very short period of time.

Hide this!Advertise here!