carbon comp. resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The resistors in the signal path are the most important.
Those have to be of good quality.

The rest doesn't have to be of good quality.

Since people spend thousands on speakercables, but have no idea that resistor-quality is (sometimes) more important.

Remco Blankesteijn

Carbomn Comp resistors!

EVerything old is new again. Yes, CC resistors have les inductance. A few pico henries less. However, they are noisier be several orders of magnitude and don't even get me started on temperature stability. And the bulk in comparison!

Oops - I've said too much.

Wonderful devices for audiophile work. I have thousands of the things available for only 25 cents each.

Lower inductance makes them good as grid stopper. They also have a particular sound, which if used throughout an amp give a distinctive sonic signature; popular with vintage hifi and guitar amp afficionados.
They are noiser, but in higher level stuff it doesn't matter much. They can also drift a lot with temperature and age, though some brands are very good in this regard.
Modern carbon films are a different beast. I like Kiwames, but still use decemt metal films and Mills WW for high power signal apps.

Don't use them much myself, except in resto's where the owner wants it as original as possible and in some MI amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.