confusing capacitor value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a little confused by the value that i read on a capacitor. It says: 12500 MFD.

Well is MFD the same as micro farad (uF) or mili farad? I know that such a things are in the USA not always the same as in Europe.

By the way, i am talking about a Mallory CG1252U75G1

wim said:
I am a little confused by the value that i read on a capacitor. It says: 12500 MFD.

Well is MFD the same as micro farad (uF) or mili farad? I know that such a things are in the USA not always the same as in Europe.

If it was millifarad they would be 1000 times bigger, both as to value, but more importantly by physical size ! :bigeyes:

Hi Andrew. I'm not sure of two things. (a) Just how much you are joking and (b) whether you are actually right about the use of "m" and "M" in the way you have just indicated. Is that an accepted convention? I've functioned for several decades on the basis the "u"(well the Greek "u" actually) "m" or "M" were pretty much interchangeable in this pariticular context and haven't got into serious trouble yet. Or am I just being humourless? (if that's the case I've got problems that this forum won't fix)

wim said:

CG1252U75G1 stands for Computer Grade 125 with 2 zeros uF at 75 Volts.
What is confusing about that ?
If its a special computer grade the letters are CGS.

Mallory code even gives you production shift numbers, production date, and capacitor size !

m and M are not just metric symbols.
They are part of the International Standardisation units(SI) !

Sorry Jonathan.

Talking about capacitors, I have never seen any manufacturer express capacity in milifarads.

As jacco said Mallory always mark their caps with MFD (micro). I thing Sprague is doing the same.

I preffer using uF and most European shematics and caps are marked with an u.

If you can lift it without back strain, it's not "milli-" . If you can lift it without a forklift, it's not "Mega-". :dead:

An overstatement of course, but you get the idea. And yes, the interchangability of "mu", u, m and M in this context is annoying. Like I don't have enough problems already nomenclature that may or may not omit nano on the way to pico. :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.