Canadian customs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Can I expect trouble if importing laboratory glassware? I know that in recent years hobby chemistry has become frowned upon (i.e. the terrorists have won -- welcome to our police state). I wonder if I should call customs before hand. I bought quite a bit of stuff from an eBay seller, and he said he'd label is as a gift.

I suspect that you'll have more trouble with items marked under real value or as a gift. Besides, the gift exemption only applies to items under $40 (last time I checked), and it may not get you out of paying broker fees. Have the seller ship either using USPS (mail) or one of the more expensive Fedex options, which include brokerage fees in the shipping price (see website to see which exactly). Believe me, it is worth the extra cost since you won't have to fork out another $40 to $60 afterwards. Canada Post charges only $10 for broker fees.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I'm not talking about customs charges. I'm talking about customs refusing to let something through. I've had a case before where I ordered a bunch of cooking knives and they sent them back, the *****. In these paranoid times, they might think I'm making drugs or something -- I don't have a chemist license, as this is a hobby.

I'd be wary of importing something like chemistry supplies. Even if there is no apparent problem getting the stuff into your hands, you could end up on some kind of "list". So don't be surprised if you are singled out for a full search and other hassles the next time you try to cross the border!

Prune said:
I'm not talking about customs charges. I'm talking about customs refusing to let something through. I've had a case before where I ordered a bunch of cooking knives and they sent them back, the *****. In these paranoid times, they might think I'm making drugs or something -- I don't have a chemist license, as this is a hobby.

Thats such a joke..

I dont see why they would be strict about stuff coming into canada, its more for tax value, etc. It should be the other way around (strict shipping to US).

Why not just buy the glasswhare from a Canadian Supplier?

If the guy on Ebay is a Company, (Most of them Are) and he sends it to you as a Gift, It will create a Delay with Customs and you will still wind up paying Duty and Taxes after a lot of hastle with them. Been there Done That.

Need a Canadian Supplier?
Phone "Anachemia Science" in Vancouver at 604-270-2252

Take care........Gary

Come up with a company name as part of the shipping address that identifies you as an 'alternate or green fuels research interest'. Canada Customs should get a woody and deliver the stuff to you themselves at no charge after that! If anyone asks tell 'em you are developing a green power source for your Kyota.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.