Would you help ID this electronic component?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to identify this component, my brother thinks its a capacitor, but I dont know.
Its from a Electronic Automobile Dash cluster.
It's the black Barrel shaped can in the middle of the photo.
It has axial terminals on both sides, BUT is leaking slightly from both sides.
Is 10/16 inch long and 9/16 inch wide.
It has the # 0050 on the outside casing which appears to be a thick plastic material, both ends seem to be metal,no other ID other than the number.
Can you tell me WHAT this is, what value it is and I hope I can get a replacement from Newmark or Digikey
Thanks for your help
Robmeister

Picture included

Attachments

• img_0418.jpg
    img_0418.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 372
It looks to me like a cap with a coil of wire wrapped around it. Why not take the plastic cover off and check.

Edit.

Looking again, I see L107 next to it. That might suggest a ferrite slug with wire wrapped around it since the "L" means "inductor" in electronicese. But then, a ferrite slug wouldn't leak so maybe it is a cap.

Definetly an inductor. Probably barrel/dogbone/dumbell/whatever you want to call it shaped core, with some notches so the wire doesn't fall out. You can see the wire going up the side to one notch in the picture, as pointed out.

I don't know what you'd be seeing as leakage. Rosin, varnish or cement maybe?

Value might be 1 to 50 microhenries and looks to be around 0.5 to 2A rating. I can't tell very well from the pictures.

If it were failed, more likely the plastic casing (probably heat shrink material) would look warped, shiny (from being melted) or burned, depending. It would also smell distinctly burned...

Tim

I put the board back in the vehicle

Thanks so much for your help,
After getting the consensus that the unit was not a leaking Cap, and that it was most likely varnish of some type that is on both sides. I placed the "inductor" back in the car after changing out some Surface Mount capacitors.

It seems to be working, so thanks again.
Much appreciated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.