Weller/Portasol P2C parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a Weller/Portasol P2C butane powered soldering iron.

I can't get it to work. When I take it apart I find that the sparker works. When I apply gas with the tip removed I can get it to flame just like a lighter.

When I put it back together I can get gas to come out and can get it to burn out of the two holes in the side (by lighting it). The tip stays cold. It's pretty clear that there is no ignition when the tip is on.

Obviously, what I am wondering is why?

Is it broken? Seems ok. Am I missing a part? When I pull it apart I get the tip, the tube/ring that goes around the tip, and a plastic collar that attaches the tip and collar to the body. I can't see any kind of screen or anything that might be a catalyc (sp?) converter...maybe it can't be seen anyway?

I've looked at several sites and can't find anything about spare parts or even what should be in there. Cooper barely even mentions the product--you have to search to even find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.