$485 volume control knob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At first I thought it was a pot, but it's just the knob ??? Wouldn't it be nice to find a product you can sell with a 10000% markup? That's got to be the biggest rip-off I've ever seen.

I'm thinking of designing a T-shirt with optimal acoustic properties to reduce the reflection of sound waves off your body and fine-tune the absorption of sound through your skin to your ears for reduced distortion and a more "detailed & natural" sound. I think all this can be done for well under $2000.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
WOW!!!

excerpt from that page

"The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved.":confused:

I'm thinking of designing a T-shirt with optimal acoustic properties to reduce the reflection of sound waves off your body and fine-tune the absorption of sound through your skin to your ears for reduced distortion and a more "detailed & natural" sound. I think all this can be done for well under $2000.

Any timeline when those superacoustic shirts will be available, i want one

regards

John

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Welcome to the U$A!

Can't ya'll let a buddy make a buck?
Blose marketing research shows the perceived audible benefits are directly related to cost. Or is it not fashionable to ***** Blose ****** any more?
Methinks in this case the thinking is "Ain't no such thang as bad PR. Let's get folks wagging their tongues 'round my $500 knob!"
And it worked....

C37 or no, you will be mad when that little wooden pointer breaks off the knob you paid $500 for!

Well, you could always get some C37 to glue it back together. That would sound 3.27 times better than regular wood glue for sure (and superglue would positively RUIN the sound charicteristics! ).

:whazzat:

Those wooden knobs are not even good looking. It looks like it came from an arts and crafts show or something. That is sad. The seller of those things should be embarrased.

I can just imagine the expression of sheer 'delight' on the face of the guy's face who buys one when he actually opens the package.

"Wow... so this is what a wodden knob looks like. I'm so glad I bought this."

sardonx said:
Those wooden knobs are not even good looking. It looks like it came from an arts and crafts show or something. That is sad. The seller of those things should be embarrased.

I can just imagine the expression of sheer 'delight' on the face of the guy's face who buys one when he actually opens the package.

"Wow... so this is what a wodden knob looks like. I'm so glad I bought this."

YEAH!! now yo have to buy me a new keyboard for spitting my tea all over it.

DAMIT!!

Volume control

The volume control the knob goes on is a stepped transformer! My experience is that a transformer in the audio path would generate a lot more artifacts in the sound than a volume control. Specially down at low levels where the transformer core is non-linear. But then, maybe this is introducing the sort of distortions that made tube amps sound like they do. A sound some people prefer.

I get the feeling that these folks are just adapting a 70V line, transformer based stepped attenuator. The sort that PA system companies sell for $9.00.

However, in a free market economy, if you and another person agree on a price for something and an exchange occurs, its supposed to be a win-win situation. So if they can extract these sorts of prices from people for this, specially playing recordings that have been A to D'd and back again a whole pile of times in the recording process, then the more power to them. The fact these people appear to be able to stay in business means there are some people out there with too much money.

The beauty of our system is this: if you think it's ridiculously over-priced, you don't have to buy it!

It's only when we don't have a choice and the vendor charges blatantly inflated prices, that's when I get steamed.

It's like the transit authority here in NYC - they're constantly trying to raise transit prices and there's no reasonable transportation alternative. That really gets me steamed! We're essentially held hostage to the whims of the MTA. If I had another choice, it wouldn't be so upsetting.

Having said that, what an absurd price for a knob that doesn't look very good! It reminds me of something I'd find for 50 cents at a craft store. Whoever designed it certainly isn't an industrial designer.

I've used C37 on my Lowther cones and I think the stuff is worth it, but I don't think putting it on a wooden knob would do that much to the sound of a system. Who knows? It's not worth that much to find out, though, IMO.

KT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.