Capacitor question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am about to renovate some old gear that I have and have a question regarding power caps that I hope some of you can give an oppinion about.
Caps have different sounds - on that I think most of us can agree, but assuming I want to keep the particular sound can I still improve it?
I am thinking of changing caps to similar brand, but higher voltage - so ex. instead of 4700uF 50V I would use 4700uF 100V, but otherwise identical model. Can someone tell me pro's and con's on doing that?
Remember that someone stated that power caps are better the closer your running them to the limit, but I also recall someone saying same value higher voltage will be better...

So any view points?

I dont remember reading anything about too high voltage caps sounding better, was it some sorta discussion, or just a random comment? Someone posted a link where too high voltage caps were criticized, but I think that was bull..

You can go for higher capacitance, and add some bypass caps, that may or may not help.

btw what is the voltage they are running off? It is not good to run caps at or above their rated voltage, life can be lowered, and they may heat, etc.

Hi,
provided you have sufficient margin between actual voltage and maximum recommended working voltage then imo you will gain no sound improvement by increasing the caps wv.
There will be a small improvement in leakage but this is unlikely to affect sound quality.
regards Andrew T.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
General rule

will be a 10-20% safety margin on psu-caps, maybe closer on regulated supplies.

As DC-blocking caps; for electrolytic(bipolar) in line-level, my experience is that a 10-16v cap often sounds better than a 100v.
And opposite with film-caps.

Arne K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.