5 volt version of the Updated super regulator. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2005, 04:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy 5 volt version of the Updated super regulator.

I have the latest version of the J/D super regulator from Audio Xpress but I don't know how to get the lower voltages out of it.I'm trying to get 5 vdc and 7vdc.I changed the reference diode from the LM329 to a TL 431.The voltage drops but doesn't go below 7.8vdc.What changes do I need to make to get 5 and 7 vdc.Thanks for any help in advance.

Mike
Old 29th January 2005, 01:56 PM   #2
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi,
The regulator you're referring to was designed for the input voltage of about 15V. To make it suitable for 5V, a lot of changes need to be done first, IMO. The schematic below shows how I would make the necessary modifications.
Regards,
Milan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reg.jpg (39.4 KB, 876 views)
Old 30th January 2005, 04:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Did you change the zener diode to the left of the 10 ohm resistor?I made the other changes you made to 4.99k to 1k and the 499r to 470r.I got 7.5vdc.Any more suggestions?

Mike
Old 30th January 2005, 11:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The value of the zener diode should equal the value of the reference voltage at the + input of the regulator IC. The reference voltage should be lower than the output voltage (about half its value) from the regulator.
If your zener diode is 6.8V, it's not possible to get voltage lower than 7.4V at the regulator output. In many cases it may be possible to short the zener, which you may try as well to see what happens.
Also, in your case, the + power terminal of the regulator IC should be connected before the regulator transistor.
Could you post the schematic you're using to make things easier for me to visualize?

Regards,
Milan
Old 30th January 2005, 03:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is what I'm using.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jung_pos.jpg (58.1 KB, 742 views)
Old 30th January 2005, 04:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mike, do you have a connection between the supply star gnd and the sense ground group at the right?

Jan Didden
Old 30th January 2005, 04:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

5V reg, part two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reg2.jpg (44.8 KB, 670 views)
Old 30th January 2005, 05:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Moamps, why don't you feed the 825 from the prereg output, is there a voltage level issue? I thought the 825 works fine with lower supply, and it would improve the line rejection.

Jan Didden
Old 30th January 2005, 05:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
... why don't you feed the 825 from the prereg output, is there a voltage level issue?
Hi Jan,

You're right - there is a voltage level issue indeed. I'm not sure that the voltage at the prereg out is high enough for the regulator IC to work properly. The voltage at the prereg out exceeds the output voltage by about 2.5V, which is in this case only about 7.5V. However, Mike might also try out what you're suggesting and let us know if it works.

Regards,
Milan
Old 30th January 2005, 06:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes. With that zener in the opamp output, it doesn't have to swing more than some 2V BELOW Vout (=5V), so I see no need for a highish opamp supply voltage. The 825 is fully spec'd for 10V total supply, so that would be the min prereg output voltage to allow the 825 to be fed from the stable and clean prereg instead of the raw supply. And in that case the zener could go, and that ugly elcap as well, setting Vout of the opamp almost smack in the middle of that 10V (5.6V actually, +/- a dB. )

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!