input Capacitor, what will work best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so Im building the Tangent soft MINT headphone amplifier for my brother. He bought the parts and purchased a bunch of wrong parts, since Im reordering stuff, I thought I would upgrade some of the parts that looked sub-par. Apparently this headphone amp needs input capacitors. I have to imagine that better quality capacitors will improve things here, since generally this setup is dreaded for SQ. The value is 1.0uf at 100vdc or so. This current type is a panasonic metalized poly cap, I believe. I was considering a WIMA type maybe, but wasnt sure if an even better option existed. I wasnt even completely sure what to look for. My part size limit is 13mmx6mm with the pins being 10mm apart. Though I would be limited with the box types, I have been wiring esoteric resistors into this, so I can be creative in my mounting if needed.

You don't need 1uF for that position. If you use the parts values in the schematic you can get away with an input cap of 220-330nF (220 is the default value). The size is a problem, but an MKP (metalized polypropylene) should do the trick. I personally use one from Rifa, but honestly I don't think it's much better (or worse) than the Wimas or Panasonics. If you're sure the one you have is polypropylene, you might as well stick with that :)

BTW, the Wima's are only "exotic" or "botique" in the US. In Europe they are pretty common and usually available from even "around-the-corner" type stores :)

/U.

well, Wima is relativly readily available here too, I mean, they are sold through most electronics wharehouses. I just assumed they were liked for there better sound more than anything.

Would going with a smaller value improve the sound of the unit, or no? I wasnt quite sure what you were saying about that. If you think the panasonic would be just fine, maybe I will start with that, and get some others to experiment with.

Hi, I've used those panasonics metalized polypropylene caps before (those suggested by Tangent) and they offer good quality for the money. I often replaced them for Solen or AuriCap that cost 10-15 times more for little to no improvement.

This comment is very suggestive and not so objective, but it is my opinion that I would first try it that way and change it later if need be.

Hope this helps!
Sébastien

Hey thanks, by the way, what you meant to say was Subjective rather than objective. Suggestive would mean you are implying something to me, such as, without being direct, that I should use the panasonics. HOwever, I think what you meant to say was that, its your opinion that the panasonics are good, rather than it being proven through some sort of test. Subjectivity basicly refers to the role of interpretation by humans, expanded interpretation of measurements, and possible role that say theoligy or mysticism plays into something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.