Reasonably good PCB mount XLR & RCA conectors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Brian

In general, for connectors, you won't go badly wrong using the Neutrik brand.

They are robust, reliable, and an industry standard, and made in many different formats, and they are available all over the world.

Some are even available gold plated I believe.

XLR's

I second the Neutrik suggestion.

The best PCB mount XLR's I have found are the NC3 series.
Eg NC3FAH1 is the number for a horizontal mounting female one.
They can be soldered to the PCB and then offerd up to the rear of the panel, the clips added later.

Do be aware that the panel cut-out size is slightly smaller than the "unified" types normally used. This does mean that the mounting pitch can be more dense.

John

Altaic said:
Last night I looked through the mouser catalog for xlr connectors... The Neutrik brand ones were of course the most expensive. Are there any more reasonably priced connectors you would recommend?
Well,
I don't know where you are located, but in Europe, Neutrik is generally not more expensive than Switchcraft.
Furthrmore, the range I suggested cost about a quarter (one fourth) of the normal "unified" range. Eg NC3MAH = 0.66GBP = US$0.42 +tax.That is for a gold plated (not flashed) professional audio connector. Try getting a decent phono connector for that:)
The price quoted is from Farnell (UK) who are associated with Newark Electronics in the 'States.
Happy searching:)
John

Woops I missed switchcraft. Wow, they are really really expensive. Fifteen bucks for a single panel mount receptacle.

I saw deltron and re'an and they were both less than neutrik... I guess neutrik looks pretty good, now that I've seen switchcraft. Are neutrik's xlr connectors good for DC supply power (7A, +-35V)? I know they say they are good up to 16A, but I was wondering if anyone has used them in such a way with good results. I saw neutrik's "powercon", but I'd rather get a standard connector, so if the cable ever gets lost or the connector breaks I can run out and make a new one easily.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.