19 Inch Racks in UK - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Default 19 Inch Racks in UK

I think pinkmouse recommended a company in the UK a while ago, but no matter how much searching I do I can't find the post, so here I go.

Can pinkmouse or anybody else remember the company name?

Please do not suggest I buy from Maplin. I do not like to be sent returned/damaged goods sold as new/fullprice
Old 21st January 2005, 04:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Racks, or rackmount cases?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st January 2005, 04:59 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Rackmount cases for amps etc. 1U and 2U.
Old 21st January 2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
richie00boy,
I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I have bought 4 of the Maplins cases, and each has been execellent quality. Maybe it was just a bad one you were sent? However, I agree, the business could be run alot better!

Gaz
Old 21st January 2005, 05:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Two companies we used to use for commercial quantities, but they may well do small orders:
http://www.ecelectronics.co.uk/
http://www.okw.co.uk/

Or the usual Rapid, RS, Farnell etc.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st January 2005, 05:37 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Gaz,

I'm glad you are happy. I have no issue with the quality of the cases in themselves. They are also about the cheapest I could find.

I just hope that you did not buy any 2U ones in the last few days, else you would probably have got my rejects.

Basically I bought a 2U and 1U. The 1U was showing in stock at the time, but was actually not. The 2U arrived in short time after a receiving a battle wound from the courier. Fortunately the damage was minor and was just paint scuffing. However, seeing as the damaged face would be on display with other smart equipment and the insides would be really quite expensive, I did not see why I should suffer this. The case was returned to Maplin who disputed the damage. They eventually conceded and agreed to supply another case, but as I had written the returns number on the box and they wanted to put the item back into stock for resale they wanted me to swap boxes with my replacement case so that the fact that the item had been returned would not be obvious! When the packer swapped the new case, they noticed that one was damaged as well. Apparantly that was the last of the stock, despite the website showing to the contrary.

I then wanted to cancel the order whole order as I can no longer trust Maplin. However, you cannot cancel an order once it has been placed, so they sent me the 1U case anyway dispite my protestations and not even having paid for it yet. Then I have to return the 1U case and get a refund. That will be an unnecessary trip to town for the Post Office for me, then.

I have a friend that works in the head office at Maplin and the stories I hear from him just beggar belief as well. At least I can take comfort knowing that mine was just a very minor Maplinisation.

Sorry for the long post/rant
Old 24th January 2005, 03:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Rack Plates

I have gone through this #$@*&^% when building mike preamps. as I have had to build custom size boxes to hold all the hand wired tube citcuits. You need a 17" by 12" by 2-7/8" box so the top plate screws clear. It is really weird that none of these companies can measure old gear and see that there has to be clearance for the screws...

Mouser electronics. They can mail anywhere

I am using;

Hammond # PBA19003BK2 for a 3.5" front plate

# 144-32 fr a 17 by 10 by 3" box and they have a top plate.

They box is too thin but works fine. They made it in such a way that it is stiff enough.

This is about $35.00 or so...
Old 25th January 2005, 07:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

RS components have loads of rack-mount cases and accessories.
Old 25th January 2005, 08:38 PM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I know all the 'usual suspects' like RS and Farnell, CPC, Rapid, etc., just hoping for a gem that I may have missed! Unfortunately everywhere is 25+ percent more expensive than Maplin.
Old 25th January 2005, 08:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Did you try EC and OKW?

Hide this!Advertise here!