19 Inch Racks in UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gaz,

I'm glad you are happy. I have no issue with the quality of the cases in themselves. They are also about the cheapest I could find.

I just hope that you did not buy any 2U ones in the last few days, else you would probably have got my rejects.

Basically I bought a 2U and 1U. The 1U was showing in stock at the time, but was actually not. The 2U arrived in short time after a receiving a battle wound from the courier. Fortunately the damage was minor and was just paint scuffing. However, seeing as the damaged face would be on display with other smart equipment and the insides would be really quite expensive, I did not see why I should suffer this. The case was returned to Maplin who disputed the damage. They eventually conceded and agreed to supply another case, but as I had written the returns number on the box and they wanted to put the item back into stock for resale they wanted me to swap boxes with my replacement case so that the fact that the item had been returned would not be obvious! When the packer swapped the new case, they noticed that one was damaged as well. Apparantly that was the last of the stock, despite the website showing to the contrary.

I then wanted to cancel the order whole order as I can no longer trust Maplin. However, you cannot cancel an order once it has been placed, so they sent me the 1U case anyway dispite my protestations and not even having paid for it yet. Then I have to return the 1U case and get a refund. That will be an unnecessary trip to town for the Post Office for me, then.

I have a friend that works in the head office at Maplin and the stories I hear from him just beggar belief as well. At least I can take comfort knowing that mine was just a very minor Maplinisation.

Sorry for the long post/rant :)

Rack Plates

I have gone through this #$@*&^% when building mike preamps. as I have had to build custom size boxes to hold all the hand wired tube citcuits. You need a 17" by 12" by 2-7/8" box so the top plate screws clear. It is really weird that none of these companies can measure old gear and see that there has to be clearance for the screws...

Mouser electronics. They can mail anywhere

I am using;

Hammond # PBA19003BK2 for a 3.5" front plate

# 144-32 fr a 17 by 10 by 3" box and they have a top plate.

They box is too thin but works fine. They made it in such a way that it is stiff enough.

This is about $35.00 or so...

Konnichiwa,

richie00boy said:
I think pinkmouse recommended a company in the UK a while ago, but no matter how much searching I do I can't find the post, so here I go.

Can pinkmouse or anybody else remember the company name?

Please do not suggest I buy from Maplin. I do not like to be sent returned/damaged goods sold as new/fullprice :bigeyes:

I recommend for DIY Electronics to first avoid any casing using steel.

If you want excellent quality and very rigid cases with excellent fit/finish and so on, RS Component makes my personal favourites in Aluminum, Schroff Multipac, made in Germany. They do cost quite a bit more than the cheapie stuff but are IMHO well worth the extra outlay.

Just go to www.rswww.com and type "Multipac Rack Cases" into the search.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.