Chemical Stripping Agent for Magnetic Wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dont know, its on a tube amp pcb, and i dont want to harm it. Its one of those thinks that i want to do right the first time, and not have any guess work involved. I was hoping that i would not have to use the iron to remove it. It seems like i remember using a chemical called strip-ex or something like that in the past.
Thanks
Hans

mbcouple said:
I need to strip some magnetic wire that is already on the board, and a mechanical stripper is out of the question. Does anyone know what will take that enamel off?
Thanks
Hans

Go to an lectronics parts house. They sell strippers for this. According to the label you wipe them on and wipe the insulation off.
This never happened when I used it. But I did try it will burning and tinning.
I tried some for a while back on the continous cast magnet wire. It did seem to make it a little easier to burn off the coating compared to using just a soldering iron and solder. But it stinks bad and fouls the tip of the iron.
I like SE's suggestion, just use a big iron 30 watts or so and burn the **** back enough to tin.
This was one of the reason's I quit playing with the CC magnet wire, too much hassle.

George

This subject came up earlier . I can't find the post but we did dig up some hydrocarbons that could possibly do the job. They do sell something in the market. I haven't used it (yet!). I would guess it is a nasty thing to use. It apparently also warned about being dangerous to have physical contact with the eyes. That should rule out its use in most homes !
Will try to find out what it is.
Meantime if anyone remembers the old post , please give us the link. Cheers.

I do remember reading the thread, but can't locate it now. I suspect that the suggestion was methylene chloride, which is used by commercial paint strippers, and used to be included in some DIY chemicals. It's nasty stuff though - dangerous by inhalation, and can blind if it gets in the eyes, so be VERY careful if you try it!

I suspect that the suggestion was methylene chloride, which is used by commercial paint strippers, and used to be included in some DIY chemicals. It's nasty stuff though - dangerous by inhalation, and can blind if it gets in the eyes, so be VERY careful if you try it!

Yes I think it was. So I think it is BEST AVOIDED. Burnt wires are better than going blind or partially blind. Worse, if someone else handled it without knowing what it was .
You can always get some on the hands and then rub the eyes if it irritates ! The lights will go out in every way you can think of .

Life is cushy now. Let it remain that way !
Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.